Causes of Rust on a Laptop Processor: Moisture or Heat?

In summary: If it is, then you need to take precautions to avoid moisture. If it's not rust, then it's something else.
seedslingers
I have a laptop which has never been exposed to water or liquids.
But somehow I have rust where my processor's fan blows out the extremley hot air prior to over heating.

Does any know why there would be rust. Does it have to be from a moisture.
Can it be from over heating of materials causing element break down.

Thanks for your replys

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, but heat and air can. Rust forms from a redox reaction when Iron specifically is oxidized to form a Iron Oxide. Remember, that with heat alone, Iron in its metal state can't donate electrons to anything. Oxygen must be present. Copper does something similar in which "red" copper corrodes or oxidizes to form a green copper oxide crust. BTW- heat simply speeds the reaction up.

Last edited:
But somehow I have rust where my processor's fan blows out the extremley hot air prior to over heating.
What is overheating, the fan or the processor. If it's the processor, then it's time to get an new one or a new fan. Is it an AMD processor.

Moisture would cause Fe alloys to corrode, particular standard carbon steels as opposed to stainless steels.

Dissimilar metals in contact with each other or common electrolyte (water with ions) may produce galvanic corrosion in the metal, which is anodic (anode). The anode corrodes faster than it would if isolated.

Are you sure that it is 'rust' or something that looks like rust?

seed : there's always enough moisture in the air to rust steel slowly. The heat only speeds up the reaction. Another (much smaller) factor that can affect the corrosion rate is vibrations from the fan itself. Is your fan noisy ? Is the rust forming on the inside of the case or somewhere else ?

I'm with Astronuc. You should first determine if it is rust.

1. Can heat alone cause rust?

No, heat alone does not cause rust. Rust formation is a chemical reaction that requires the presence of oxygen and moisture in addition to heat. Heat can speed up the process of rust formation, but it cannot cause it on its own.

2. What is the ideal temperature for rust formation?

The ideal temperature for rust formation is between 40-50 degrees Celsius. At this temperature, the rate of rust formation is accelerated, but it is still dependent on the presence of oxygen and moisture.

3. Can rust form in dry heat?

No, rust formation requires the presence of moisture in addition to heat. Dry heat does not provide the necessary moisture for rust to form.

4. How does heat speed up the rusting process?

Heat speeds up the rusting process by increasing the rate of chemical reactions between iron, oxygen, and moisture. This results in the formation of rust at a faster rate than at lower temperatures.

5. Is rust formation reversible?

No, rust formation is a chemical reaction that permanently transforms iron into iron oxide. Once rust has formed, it cannot be reversed without the use of chemical treatments or physical removal methods.