Good Science Magazines for Physics Fans

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, both magazines are informative and offer a variety of interesting topics to read about. They are both good sources of information for anyone interested in science.
Gale
So, i just right now decided i want a subscription to a magazine. I was thinking an astronomy one would suit my tastes best, but i might enjoy other subjects. what are some good, informative, but fun magazines i might enjoy? i don't want to subscribe to something i won't enjoy reading each month. i want to stay more to the physics realm of things. any particular mags that yall have enjoyed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try http://www.discover.com/" magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scientific American: It's not as good as it used to be but is still one of the best.

Scientific American is good as is New Scientist, there pretty simillar really only the side of the ocean sperates them. I've read both though and there's little between them, both good reads.

If i remember correctly discover mag was a bit pop science ish, never read scientific america, wonder if i can get it this side of the pond.

I enjoy reading Scientific American. It covers lots of cool subjects like physics, computing, nanotech, astronamy...

wolram said:
If i remember correctly discover mag was a bit pop science ish, never read scientific america, wonder if i can get it this side of the pond.

yup it's available where I work in a WHSmiths on the ground floor. It's not as easy to find generally as New Scientist but worth the effort.

wolram said:

Discover is lite reading but I am a TLC junkie too. Scientific American is a better choice.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Scientific American is good as is New Scientist, there pretty simillar really only the side of the ocean sperates them. I've read both though and there's little between them, both good reads.

One difference: Scientific American has an long established reputation for reporting credible information. Also, it was once written to a Master's level for the given subject. They have dumbed it down over the years, but AFAIK it is still considered trustworthy - really the most credible of any broad spectrum magazine written for the public.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
One difference: Scientific American has an long established reputation for reporting credible information. Also, it was once written to a Master's level for the given subject. They have dumbed it down over the years, but AFAIK it is still considered trustworthy - really the most credible of any magazine written for the public.
That's pretty much my assessment.

Fair enough, I'm not going to argue about New Scientist, they also started off at a high level and slid, but then they wanted to sell magazines, most of the stuff is credible, but if you read the letters(in the feedback section) Sent in by scientists you get the real story. So I'll go with you guys SA is the better mag.

Last edited:
tbh I am not so happy with new scientist, it tends to be sensationalist pap and contradicts itself every other month. But its good to read on the ****ter.

Hmm :/ the straw poll results say SciAm all the way! I love Scientific American. The only bad thing about it is their binding is not good. The magazines fall apart easy.

No brainer. SciAm. Money well spent.

Another benefit of SciAm: Keeps you (scientifically) well rounded.

Paden Roder

I just got back from the bookstore where I picked up my two favorites: Astronomy Magazine and Scientific American Mind. They never dissapoint.

http://www.astronomy.com
http://www.sciammind.com

Last edited:

1. What are some popular science magazines for physics enthusiasts?

Some popular science magazines for physics fans include Scientific American, Physics World, and Discover.

2. Are there any online science magazines specifically for physics?

Yes, there are several online science magazines dedicated to physics, such as Physics Today, Symmetry Magazine, and Physics World Online.

3. Are there any science magazines that cover both physics and other scientific topics?

Yes, there are many science magazines that cover a wide range of scientific topics, including physics. Some examples include National Geographic, Popular Science, and New Scientist.

4. Can you recommend a science magazine for beginners interested in physics?

For beginners, I would recommend Physics Today or Physics World as they offer a good balance of in-depth articles and accessible language.

5. Are there any free science magazines for physics fans?

There are some free science magazines available online for physics enthusiasts, such as APS News, Physics Central, and Physics Today's online edition. However, most print magazines require a subscription fee.