Solubility: Retrograde Soluble, How & Why with Examples

• Thread starter vincikai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary: This suggests that the mechanism behind the solubility decrease is different for these two substances.
vincikai
As I was reading text “ The solubility of most compounds increase with increasing temperature, but a substance that is retrograde soluble is one whose solubility decreases with increasing temperature.”

Why dose this happen? How dose “retrograde soluble” substance work and why? Is there an example?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cerium sulfate, Ce2(SO4)3, is the only example I know of. According to my table, the nonahydrate has a solubility of 17.35g/100mL at 0C, but only 3.73g/100mL at 60C. As for the "why?", I would like to know as much as you. I never could get a good answer from my teacher(s).

destroing crystal lattice needs energy from outside (E1), and during aquation energy liberation occures(E2). if E2 is greater than E1, solubility decreases with temperature (sorry about bad English)

geo_alchemist said:
destroing crystal lattice needs energy from outside (E1), and during aquation energy liberation occures(E2). if E2 is greater than E1, solubility decreases with temperature (sorry about bad English)

what does "aquation energy liberation occures" mean?:bugeye:

Here is a site with more examples. I found two sites that gave explanations that were clearly wrong and two others that said "there is no easy way to tell".

http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03726.htm

According to the scientist on that site, most rare-earth sulfates show this property. Interesting...

when ions interact with water molecules, energy liberates.

Disolving NaOH in water, for example, gives off heat and is an exothermic reaction. Hydrating NH4NO3, absorbs heat and is an endothermic reaction. Both the solubility of NaOH and NH4NO3 increase with increasing temperature, however. So I don't really understand what you mean geo_alchemist.

vincikai, in some cases it appears that the temperature starts to decrease with increasing temperature due to hydrate formation. See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_sulfate under the solubility of sodium sulfate. A similar argument may help explain cerium sulfate's solubility graph as it forms several waters of hydrations.

According to my solubility tables, however, lanthanum sulfate, La2(SO4)3, like Ce2(SO4)3 decreases in solubility with increasing temperatures and it forms no hydrates.

1. What is retrograde solubility?

Retrograde solubility refers to the phenomenon where a substance becomes less soluble as the temperature increases. This is the opposite of normal solubility behavior, where most substances become more soluble at higher temperatures.

2. How does retrograde solubility occur?

Retrograde solubility occurs when the solute molecules are attracted to each other more strongly than to the solvent molecules. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, causing them to move faster and break apart the attractive forces between the solute molecules. This results in a decrease in solubility.

3. What are some examples of retrograde soluble substances?

One example of a retrograde soluble substance is sodium sulfate. It has a solubility of 44 grams per 100 mL of water at 0°C, but only 18 grams per 100 mL at 100°C. Other examples include potassium nitrate, calcium sulfate, and sodium carbonate.

4. Why is retrograde solubility important to study?

Retrograde solubility has important implications in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals and food production. Understanding how different substances behave under different conditions can help scientists and engineers optimize processes and formulations to achieve desired results.

5. How can retrograde solubility be predicted?

Retrograde solubility can be predicted using thermodynamic models and equations, such as the van't Hoff equation or the Gibbs free energy equation. These models take into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and molecular interactions to calculate the solubility of a substance under different conditions.