Expectation of random variable is constant?

In summary, the first condition for a stationary process is that the random variable at different times yields the same expectation value.
LM741
hi there.

currently looking at the two conditions that must be met for a process to be wide sense stationary.

The first constion is: E[X(t)] = constant

what exactly does this mean??isn't is obvious that any random variable (with fixed time) will always yield a constant expextation. I thought, for stationary prcesses, we want to try and prove that the random variable at DIFFERENT times yields the same expectation value (i.e. constant expactation).
The above condition seems to be stating the obvious...

Thanks
John

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi There,

Your sayin that, we are not in need of such a condition to satisfy the stationary concept, in actual fact we are in need of it especially when for example, let's says we are modeling the stock price historically it has been trading around $20 and then all of a sudden a stock split 1:4 occurs which then makes the stock trade at around $5 can you see the difference in the expectations before and after that particular event.

Regards Steven

does your example incorporate fixed time??

also - can you tell me what the expectatino value of e^t is??
i.e. - E[ e^t] = ? not sure how to calculate this?

thanks steven

just a follow up on my last post:

the reason why I'm not sure how to do this is because the expression does not contain a random variable , therefore how can i get a density function which i need in order to solve my expectation.
E[X] = integral(xfx)dx

where x is my random process and fx is the density function.

thanks

Hi there,

of course if your looking at historical figure's then the time must be limited and therefore in a fixed time, in terms of your expectation it is suppose to be E[e^xt] this is the moment generating function which is an alternative to find the expectation to the integral x*f(x)dx. And as you can see
m(t)=E[e^xt]=integral e^xt*f(x) dx does involve the randam variable. To find the expectation E[x]=m'(0).

Regards

Steven

1. What does it mean for the expectation of a random variable to be constant?

The expectation of a random variable being constant means that the average value of the variable remains the same, regardless of the sample size or the probability distribution. In other words, it is the expected value or mean of the variable, which remains unchanged.

2. Why is it important to know if the expectation of a random variable is constant?

Knowing if the expectation of a random variable is constant is important because it allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the variable. It is also a key concept in many statistical models and helps in understanding the underlying patterns in the data.

3. Can the expectation of a random variable change?

No, the expectation of a random variable is a constant value and does not change. It represents the long-term average value of the variable and remains the same even if the individual outcomes vary.

4. How is the expectation of a random variable calculated?

The expectation of a random variable is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome of the variable with its corresponding probability and then summing up all the products. It is also known as the weighted average of the outcomes.

5. What are some real-world examples of a constant expectation of a random variable?

Some real-world examples of a constant expectation of a random variable include flipping a fair coin, rolling a fair die, and drawing a card from a well-shuffled deck. In all these cases, the expected value or the average outcome remains the same, regardless of the number of trials or the order of the outcomes.