Exploring Colour & Heat: A Physics Investigation

In summary: If you hit a "good" black box with a radar gun, you'll see a blue or yellow blip on the screen, because radar waves are scattered mostly by the paint.Originally posted by Warren In summary, the color of the box has no significant impact on the rate of temperature increase inside the box.
minniejay
Colour and heat!

Hello, I am having a physics investigation about thermophysics stuff. I investigate how the rate of temperature increase inside a box alters by the colour of the box.. There are a few questions i want to ask:
-a) Black box will abviously gets the hottest. But among red, blue, yellow, purple and green boxes, what order will it be?
I was thinking that if heat transfer into a box is related to wavelength or frequency, red may get the hottest (as it has the shortest frequency) or..blue may get the hottest (due to the longest frequency) Or, heat transfer may not be related to wavelength or frequency. I am very not sure..
b) How does the hot air get into the box? By molecules of the box material? Convection?
c) If the distance between the heat source and the box increases, what kind of relationship will there be? and why does the box that is the furthest from the heater gets the least heat?

Thank you soooo much for reading this and i hope you can write me back about them soon...

Science news on Phys.org

Originally posted by minniejay
red may get the hottest (as it has the shortest frequency) or..blue may get the hottest (due to the longest frequency)

scratch that. Reverse it.

wait, a blue box reflexs blue light (the strongest) and a red light reflexs red light (the weakest) so i think the red one would be hottest.

Then there are "colors" not visible which affect the energy reflectivity/absorptivity of a customary non-blackbody.

Heat travels directly from walls of box to air inside by conduction, radiation, convection - in that order of magnitude, I guess.

Originally posted by Gara
wait, a blue box reflexs blue light (the strongest) and a red light reflexs red light (the weakest) so i think the red one would be hottest.

i was referring to his frequency labelings. Blue light has the shortest, red light is the longest. as for what you're saying, yes you are probably right, because the red box absorbs the shortest highest energy wavelengths it would probably get warmer than the blue box. However as Loren said, other non-visible wavelengths could change that. There are other factors involved.

Is the light spectrum (with red and blue) the reason why some people say radar guns (that cops use) seem to think red cars speed more?

PS: I believe this is the 11000th post in this forum.

well, my investigation results show the obvious results (eg. black heats up the quickest, most, and cools the quickest and silver and white heast up the least and stuff...) but among the blue, yellow, purple, red and green boxes, the results are quite random. Sometimes the green box heats up the most among the five and sometimes the red one does.. So i want to get the theory right - is the bluebox supposed to get heated up first because it has more energy/higher frequency? if so, my investion must have got a lot of inaccurate and uncertain stuff (e.g. the temp might've got affected air conditioners or movement of people which mihgt've created wind effect...) But, if the theory suggests that the heat transfer is not related to wavelength/frequency, then my results are pretty right as they concluded that it's random (among the five colours). What do you people think??

PS: thanks for your replies. those made me consider more about it
PS: Congrats to Decker!

Originally posted by Decker
Is the light spectrum (with red and blue) the reason why some people say radar guns (that cops use) seem to think red cars speed more?

PS: I believe this is the 11000th post in this forum.
I haven't heard such a thing. Radars use different wavelegths from visible light.

Colors are tricky. A box that looks yellow does not necessarily reflect only yellow light -- it might reflect equal parts of green and red light, and still look the same to our eyes (red light + green light looks exactly the same as pure yellow light).

So, the actual amount of energy absorbed by a pigment is not just a function of its apparent color, but also its actual chemical composition and what frequencies it really absorbs. Not to mention the fact that sunlight has more energy in infrared photons than visible photons, and a pigment's visible appearance is not necessarily related to its infrared absorption...

- Warren

Sunlight offers whatever it collides with on the Earth's surface with about 1000 Watts of radiant power per square meter.

A 'good' black box will absorb most of that energy; a 'good' white paint (developed for that purpose) can scatter most of it away.

Since most paints are designed not to absorb the maximum energy nor to reflect/scatter it, they will do something in between. I found a spec for the paint on road signs that specified that the white paint should reflect 85% of the incident light, and yellow 55%; I suspect these numbers refer only to visible light, adjusted for sensitivity of the human eye (lumens, not watts).

You've already found that reflectance doesn't seem to correlate with the wavelength of the dominant color of the paint.

If sunlight consisted of equal amounts of photons of all colors, I would expect a blue box to heat up the least--it would be turning away lots of high-energy photons.

Since sunlight contains more green and greenish photons than it does red or blue, I might expect a green box to heat up the least--it's turning away many more photons than the other colors do.

But as you've said, and Warren explained, there are reflections and absorptions of non-visible wavelength photons that mess up the results quite a bit.

P

i thought it was UV and not IR that was hotter?

The Sun produces more IR radiation than UV radiation, I believe. UV is "hotter" in a sense because it is a shorter wavelength -- but the Sun produces less of it.

- Warren

The shade of the color counts too. I have a dark blue car and it gets really hot when it sits out in the sun. A sky blue wouldn't get so hot.

1. What is the relationship between color and heat?

The relationship between color and heat is that as the temperature of an object increases, its color will change. This is due to the fact that as an object heats up, the atoms within it gain more energy and begin to vibrate more rapidly. This increase in vibration causes the atoms to emit more energy, which is perceived as a change in color.

2. How do different colors absorb and reflect heat?

Different colors absorb and reflect heat differently. Darker colors tend to absorb more heat because they are able to absorb a wider range of wavelengths of light. Lighter colors, on the other hand, reflect more heat because they are able to reflect a larger portion of the light spectrum.

3. What is the role of wavelength in color and heat?

Wavelength plays a crucial role in the relationship between color and heat. Wavelength is a measure of the distance between two peaks of a wave and is responsible for determining the color of an object. Objects that appear red, for example, have longer wavelengths and are able to absorb more heat, while objects that appear blue have shorter wavelengths and are able to reflect more heat.

4. How does the color of an object affect its temperature?

The color of an object can greatly affect its temperature due to the amount of light and heat it reflects or absorbs. Darker colors, such as black, tend to absorb more heat and can therefore become hotter than lighter colors. This is why wearing lighter colors in the summer can help keep you cooler, while wearing darker colors in the winter can help keep you warmer.

5. How can we use color to control heat in our environment?

We can use color to control heat in our environment by choosing the right colors for our surroundings. For example, painting a building a lighter color can help keep the interior cooler in the summer, while painting it a darker color can help keep it warmer in the winter. Additionally, using specific colors for roofing materials or clothing can also help regulate the amount of heat absorbed or reflected in our environment.