Current/Voltage relationship for a filament lamp?

In summary, Cristo was able to help me understand why the graph curves, and what happens to materials as temperature increases.
Diamond Dog
Hi there, First post here guys! :biggrin:
Recently i have been assigned my coursework on measuring the resistance of a filament lamp whereby an experiment was carried out by increasing the voltage through the filament lamp in intervals of 0.5 volts and measuring the current.
I have since made a graph of current against voltage (current on Y axis and Voltage on X axis) which looks like this:
http://www.gcse.com/IV_lamp.htm
However, I am now analysing this graph and struggling. Why does the graph look like this? Why does the graph curve and why does the beginning of the line lok almost straight.
Your help will be much appreciated
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what does the straight line tell you about the initial relationship between voltage and current?

Do you know an equation relating voltage and current?

What property of the lamp changes as the current increases?

(NB: in future please post such questions in the homework forums)

Last edited:
Hi, Cristo, sorry i didnt know there was a homeworky forum, will remember for next time, i thinki i might be on here quite frequently now!

1) Well the straight line at the beginning tell me that they are proportional, but what happens when it starts to curve?

2) yes, R=V/I which means the gradient would be resistance

3) and i believe as current increases, temperature increases?

I think i understand the basis, it's just trying to explain what is happeing, on the graph i can't quite say it.

Sorry again and thanks!

Diamond Dog said:

What happens to most materials as temperature increases?

Diamond Dog said:
Hi, Cristo, sorry i didnt know there was a homeworky forum, will remember for next time, i thinki i might be on here quite frequently now!
That's ok; welcome to the forums, by the way

1) Well the straight line at the beginning tell me that they are proportional, but what happens when it starts to curve?
Correct, they are directly proportional

2) yes, R=V/I which means the gradient would be resistance
Careful, the gradient of the curve is 1/R (since Δy/Δx=ΔI/ΔV=1/R) Edit: note the corrected typo in this equation

Correct, and what other property of the wire inside in the lamp increases as the temperature of the wire increases?

Last edited:
They begin to melt?
Does this mean that the grash is curving because its getting hotter and hotter and will eventually melt?

cristo said:
That's ok; welcome to the forums, by the way

Correct, they are directly proportional

Careful, the gradient of the curve is 1/R (since Δy/Δx=ΔI/ΔV=R)

Correct, and what other property of the wire inside in the lamp increases as the temperature of the wire increases?

Would that be resistance?

Diamond Dog said:
Would that be resistance?
Correct. Now look at my equation above ΔI/ΔV=1/R (noting the typo) Let's write this equation as V=IR. Since as the current increases, the resistance increases, what can you say about the increase of the voltage? i.e. compare this to a point where R does not depends on I; a small increase in I will result in an increase in V. Now, if we increase I by the same small amount, but at a point where the resistance is now bigger, how big is the increase in V? ( is it the same as the point with fixed resistance, greater or smaller?)

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
cristo said:
Correct. Now look at my equation above ΔI/ΔV=1/R (noting the typo) Let's write this equation as V=IR. Since as the current increases, the resistance increases, what can you say about the increase of the voltage? i.e. compare this to a point where R does not depends on I; a small increase in I will result in an increase in V. Now, if we increase I by the same small amount, but at a point where the resistance is now bigger, how big is the increase in V? ( is it the same as the point with fixed resistance, greater or smaller?)

Hope this makes sense!

Ahhh, i see now ! Thanks Cristo you have been a lot of help. I like the way you asked questions in order for me to figure it out by myself, helps me understand more rather than you spoon feeding me the answer. Think i will be posting more on here for further in this coursework!
Thans again, very much appreciated!

Diamond Dog said:
Ahhh, i see now ! Thanks Cristo you have been a lot of help.
You're very welcome!
I like the way you asked questions in order for me to figure it out by myself, helps me understand more rather than you spoon feeding me the answer.

That's the way these forums should work. It's a pleasure to help a student that has clearly thought about the question before he posts, and is willing to listen to the hints and answer the question himself, rather than simply demanding we give him the answer!

You'll fit in very well here! Good luck with the coursework.

i agree, that was a pleasure to read, i hope you are a teacher by trade cristo.
if not, you can "talk the talk".

1. What is the relationship between current and voltage in a filament lamp?

The relationship between current and voltage in a filament lamp is directly proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa.

2. Why does the current increase as the voltage increases in a filament lamp?

This is because the filament in a lamp is made of a material with high resistance. When voltage is applied, the electrons in the filament gain energy and collide with atoms, causing them to vibrate and emit light. This movement of electrons results in an increase in current.

3. How does the current/voltage relationship change as the filament heats up?

As the filament heats up, its resistance increases. This means that for a given voltage, the current decreases. This is known as the positive temperature coefficient of resistance.

4. Why does the filament in a lamp eventually burn out?

The filament in a lamp is made of a thin wire that is heated to a high temperature by the passing current. Over time, this constant heating causes the wire to become brittle and eventually break, resulting in the lamp burning out.

5. How does the current/voltage relationship differ for a LED bulb?

The current/voltage relationship for a LED bulb is non-linear. This means that as the voltage increases, the current does not increase at the same rate. Instead, the current remains relatively low until a certain voltage threshold is reached, after which it increases more rapidly. This is due to the different materials and processes used in LED bulbs compared to filament lamps.