How to Solve a Challenging Physics Problem with Proportional Acceleration?

• Thread starter SheldonG
  • Start date
In summary, Homework Equations suggest using a = ky to find v. I tried this and ended up with v^2 = ky^2 + v_0^2. I integrate this to get t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\int \frac{1}{\cos\theta}\, d\theta = \frac{\log(\cos\theta)}{\sqrt{k}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\log\left(\frac{v_0}{\sqrt{v_0^2 + y^2k}}\right) + C.
SheldonG

Homework Statement

A body has acquired a downward velocity [itex] v_0 [/itex] and thereafter the acceleration is proportional to the distance traveled. Measure time and distance from the instant and place where the object has acquired the velocity [itex] v_0 [/itex] and find the formula or the distance traveled as a function of time.

Homework Equations

Suggestion in text to use

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt} = v\, \frac{dv}{dy} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found this problem very challenging. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know it's long and complicated, and I am asking a lot, but if any of you have time, it really would be appreciated.

Using the suggestion in the text, I started with [itex] a = ky [/itex] which means [itex] \frac{dv}{dt} = ky [/itex] or

[tex] v\frac{dv}{dy} = ky [/tex]

My idea here was to get an expression for v, and then integrate that (as dy/dt) to get y in terms of t. But I have never really seen something like this before in the text. So perhaps I took a wrong turn here. What I tried to do was this: [tex] v\, dv = ky\, dy [/tex] and integrate this to get [tex] v^2/2 = ky^2/2 + C [/tex].

I know the book says you aren't supposed to view dv/dy (or any derivative) as a fraction, but I couldn't think of anything else to do.

On the off chance this was ok. I found [itex] C = v_0^2/2 [/itex] and so end up with [itex] v^2 = ky^2 + v_0^2 [/itex].

So (assuming this is right), I have [tex] \frac{dy}{dt} = \sqrt{ky^2 + v_0^2} [/tex] I use the theorem on reciprocals to write it as [tex] \frac{dt}{dy} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{ky^2 + v_0^2}} [/tex]

To integrate this, I set [itex] y = v_0\tan\theta/\sqrt{k} [/itex] and so [itex] dy/d\theta = v_o\sec^2\theta/\sqrt{k} [/itex] and I end up with the integral

[tex] t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\int \frac{1}{\cos\theta}\, d\theta = \frac{\log(\cos\theta)}{\sqrt{k}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\log\left(\frac{v_0}{\sqrt{v_0^2 + y^2k}}\right) + C [/tex]

So

[tex] De^{\sqrt{k}t} = \frac{v_0}{\sqrt{v_0^2+y^2k}} [/tex]

and

[itex] D = 1/v_0 [/itex].

Here is where I stopped, since it is obvious that this is not going to lead to the correct answer as given in the book, which is

[tex] y = \frac{v_0}{2\sqrt{k}}(e^{\sqrt{k}t} - e^{-\sqrt{k}t}) [/tex]

Thanks again, if anyone has the fortitude to slog through all this.

Sheldon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now I see a mistake in my integration of 1/cos. Let me think on this some more, and I will post again. Sorry to bother everyone.

Sheldon

Last edited:
Yes, that was the problem. Well, I managed on my own for once. Sorry to bother anyone who read this.

Thanks
Sheldon

What is the problem presented in "Another problem from Kline"?

The problem presented in "Another problem from Kline" is that of a malfunctioning machine that is causing issues in a laboratory setting. The machine is producing incorrect data, which is hindering the progress of ongoing experiments.

What is the possible cause of the malfunction?

The possible cause of the malfunction could be due to a technical issue with the machine itself, such as a faulty sensor or a software glitch. It could also be caused by external factors, such as power surges or environmental changes.

How can the problem be solved?

The problem can be solved by identifying the root cause of the malfunction and addressing it accordingly. This may involve repairing or replacing components of the machine, recalibrating sensors, or implementing new protocols for using the machine.

What are the potential consequences of the malfunction?

The potential consequences of the malfunction can range from minor setbacks in ongoing experiments to major delays in research progress. It could also lead to incorrect data being published, which could have serious implications for the scientific community.

How can similar problems be prevented in the future?

Similar problems can be prevented in the future by regularly maintaining and monitoring the machine, following proper usage protocols, and implementing backup systems to catch any errors or malfunctions. It is also important to have a contingency plan in place in case of any future issues.