Finding Acceleration of Spindles with Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the acceleration of spindles composed of two disks and a cylindrical solid axle. Two methods are suggested, one involving the application of Newton's 2nd law for translation and rotation, and the other treating the spindle as instantaneously in pure rotation about the point of contact with the surface. The correct equations to use are also provided, including the need to consider the rotational inertia when using the second method.
cpuwildman
spindleb.jpg

How would I find the acceleration of the above spindles (both left and right instances)? The spindles are composed of two disks with a cylindrical solid axle. The left spindle is unwinding the string as it rolls and the right spindle is winding the string as it rolls. Static friction is present and the spindle rolls without slipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the applied force P minus the force of friction equals the mass times acceleration. I can't seem to figure out how to find the force of friction, with which it would be relatively easy to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by cpuwildman
I know that the applied force P minus the force of friction equals the mass times acceleration. I can't seem to figure out how to find the force of friction, with which it would be relatively easy to solve the problem.
Two equivalent ways to go:

(1) Consider all the forces on the spindles and apply Newton's 2nd law both for translation (of center of mass) and rotation (about center of mass).

(2) Treat the spindle as instantaneously in pure rotation about the point of contact with the surface, taking torques about that point.

I tried the torque method and summed all of the torques and came up with the force of friction for the left spindle as (MRa + 1/2mba) where M is the mass of the large disc, m is the mass of the axle, R is the radius of the large discs, b is the radius of the axle, and a is the acceleration. For some reason I still don't seem to get the correct answer. After getting the above result, I subtracted that from the applied force which equals the total mass times acceleration. I solved for the acceleration and got a wrong answer. I can't submit my homework any more, but I would still like to figure out how to do this as I have a test coming up next week. I really appreciate your help.

For the picture on the left, the sum of the moments looks like this, not following sign convention (just let everything be positive here).

[tex]\sum M = (P)(R + b)[/tex]

The picture on the right is like this

[tex]\sum M = (P)(R - b)[/tex]

The moment and angular acceleration formula is like this

[tex]\sum M = I \alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\sum M}{I}[/tex]

If you want real acceleration, just multiply by the radius of the wheel (just R)

[tex]a = \frac{r \sum M}{I}[/tex]

I too have a test on this stuff. It's on friday

Last edited:
Originally posted by cpuwildman
I tried the torque method and summed all of the torques and came up with the force of friction for the left spindle as (MRa + 1/2mba) where M is the mass of the large disc, m is the mass of the axle, R is the radius of the large discs, b is the radius of the axle, and a is the acceleration. For some reason I still don't seem to get the correct answer. ...
I have no idea how you arrived at that answer. You need to apply Newton's 2nd Law for (1) translation and (2) rotation. Here's what I get for the diagram on the left.

(1) [tex]P - F = Ma [/tex]

(2) [tex]Pb + FR = I \alpha [/tex]

Where F is the friction force; M is the total mass; I is the rotational inertia about the axle; a is acceleration; α is angular acceleration. Solve these two equations together and you'll get your answer. (Also realize that a = αR.)

You have to model the spindle in order to calculate the rotational inertia. You didn't give any information, so I don't know what you can assume. (For example, can you ignore the axle and treat the spindle as two cylinders? I would.)

Give it another shot.

If you wanted to use the other method that I spoke of--where you treat the spindle as in pure rotation--it would look like this: (This is what ShawnD was doing.)

[tex]P(R + b) = (I + MR^2) \alpha [/tex]

Note that since you are taking torques about the contact point, you need the rotational inertia about that point; for that I used the parallel axis theorem.

Edit: added note on second method.

Last edited:

1. What is acceleration of spindles with friction?

The acceleration of spindles with friction refers to the rate of change of velocity of a spinning object with friction acting upon it. It is a measure of how quickly the speed and direction of the spinning object changes over time due to the presence of friction.

2. How is acceleration of spindles with friction calculated?

The acceleration of spindles with friction can be calculated using the formula a = (u-v)/t, where a is the acceleration, u is the initial velocity, v is the final velocity, and t is the time interval. This formula takes into account the change in velocity over a specific time period.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of spindles with friction?

The acceleration of spindles with friction can be affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the spinning object, the type and amount of friction present, and the surface on which the object is spinning. The direction and force of the friction can also impact the acceleration.

4. How does friction impact the acceleration of spindles?

Friction acts as a resistive force on spinning objects, causing a decrease in their acceleration. This is because friction opposes the direction of motion, resulting in a decrease in the speed and change in direction of the spinning object. The greater the amount of friction, the more it will impact the acceleration of spindles.

5. Why is it important to find the acceleration of spindles with friction?

Understanding the acceleration of spindles with friction is important in various scientific and engineering applications. It can help in the design and development of machines and devices that involve spinning objects, such as engines, turbines, and gears. It also aids in predicting and analyzing the movement and performance of these objects, which can have real-world implications in industries like transportation and manufacturing.