Help with Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a continuum mechanics book where the goal is to convert Eulerian velocity (V1 = k*z1) into Lagrangian motion (z1 = x1*e^k(t-t0)). The person has been struggling with solving the differential equation (dz1/dt) + z1^2 = 0 and is asking for help in converting between the two types of motion. The suggested solution is to refer to a textbook on differential equations or differential manifolds, or to consult a thread on the theory of elasticity.
jon8105
Ok I have been trying to figure this out for a couple of days now and seem to be stumped. I know it is a fairly simple problem I just can't get it to click! Anyways, here is my problem:

I have a Eulerian velocity of V1 = k*z1 and I want to show that this equals z1 = x1*e^k(t-t0), which is the Lagrangian motion. This is a problem from my continuum mechanics book.

I know that if I solve for the equation (dz1/dt) + z1^2 = 0, with V1 = dz1/dt and initial boundary conditions of z1=x1 at t=0, then I should get the answer, but I am having no luck.

Does anyone know how to convert from Eulerian Velocity, V1 = k*z1, and get the Lagrangian motion, z1 = x1*e^k(t-t0)? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
See any textbook on differential equations (or differential manifolds) which discusses the relationship btween flows, vector fields, integral curves, and the exponential map. For example, Lee, Introduction to Smooth Manifolds. Or see my PF thread, "What is the Theory of Elasticity?"

The Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation is a common problem in continuum mechanics and it can be solved using the chain rule and the inverse transformation. Let's break down the steps to solve this problem:

Step 1: Define the Eulerian and Lagrangian coordinates

Eulerian coordinates are used to describe the motion of a fluid or a solid in a fixed reference frame. In this case, z1 represents the position of a particle in the fluid or solid at a given time t.

Lagrangian coordinates, on the other hand, are used to describe the motion of a particle in a moving reference frame. In this case, x1 represents the initial position of the particle at time t0.

Step 2: Determine the relationship between the Eulerian and Lagrangian coordinates

The relationship between the Eulerian and Lagrangian coordinates can be expressed as:

z1 = x1 + ξ(t)

Where ξ(t) is the displacement of the particle from its initial position at time t0.

Step 3: Apply the chain rule

Using the chain rule, we can express the Eulerian velocity V1 as:

V1 = dz1/dt = dx1/dt + dξ/dt

Step 4: Substitute the given Eulerian velocity

Substituting the given Eulerian velocity V1 = k*z1 into the equation from step 3, we get:

k*z1 = dx1/dt + dξ/dt

Step 5: Solve for dξ/dt

Solving for dξ/dt, we get:

dξ/dt = k*z1 - dx1/dt

Step 6: Substitute the initial boundary conditions

Substituting the initial boundary conditions of z1 = x1 at t=0, we get:

dξ/dt = k*x1 - dx1/dt

Step 7: Integrate both sides

Integrating both sides with respect to time, we get:

ξ(t) = k*x1*t - x1 + C

Where C is the constant of integration.

Step 8: Substitute back into the relationship between Eulerian and Lagrangian coordinates

Substituting the value of ξ(t) into the relationship between Eulerian and Lagrangian coordinates, we get:

z1 = x1 + k*x1*t - x1 + C

Simplifying, we get:

z1

What is a Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation?

A Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation is a mathematical technique used in fluid dynamics to convert between two different coordinate systems. The Lagrangian system describes the motion of individual particles in a fluid while the Eulerian system describes the properties of the fluid at fixed points in space.

Why is a Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation important in fluid dynamics?

The Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation allows researchers to switch between two coordinate systems in order to analyze fluid motion from different perspectives. This is particularly useful in studying turbulent flows, where the Lagrangian approach may be better suited for tracking individual particles, while the Eulerian approach may be better for analyzing overall fluid properties.

What are the main challenges in performing a Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation?

The main challenge in performing a Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation lies in accurately representing the fluid motion in both coordinate systems. This requires a thorough understanding of the equations governing fluid flow and careful consideration of boundary conditions and other factors that may affect the transformation.

What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation?

Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation is commonly used in many areas of fluid dynamics including weather forecasting, oceanography, and aerodynamics. It is also used in industries such as aviation and marine engineering to analyze the effects of fluid flow on structures and systems.

Are there any limitations to using Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation?

While Lagrangian to Eulerian transformation is a useful tool in fluid dynamics, it is not suitable for all situations. It may not accurately represent highly complex or turbulent flows, and the transformation process itself can be computationally demanding. Additionally, care must be taken to properly account for any assumptions or simplifications made during the transformation.