If sinh(y)=x, then, show that cosh(y)=sqrt(1+x^2)

• Thread starter cks
  • Start date
In summary, we can prove that if sinh(y)=x, then cosh(y)=sqrt(1+x^2) by utilizing the definitions of sinh and cosh and the identity cosh^2(y)-sinh^2(y)=1. Additionally, we can justify our choice of selecting the positive sign by considering the fact that exp(y) is always positive and choosing the negative sign would result in a false statement. Therefore, selecting the positive sign is necessary for the proof to hold true.
cks
if sinh(y)=x, then, show that cosh(y)=sqrt(1+x^2)

I know how to prove but i have difficult in choosing the signs.

sinh(y) = x = [exp(y)-exp(-y)]/2

there are two equations I can find

exp(2y) - 2x exp(y) -1 =0 OR exp(-2y) + 2xexp(-y) -1 =0

exp(y) = x +- sqrt(x^2 +1) & exp(-y) = -x +- sqrt(x^2 + 1)

if I select the signs of +

exp(y) = x + sqrt(x^2 +1) & exp(-y) = -x + sqrt(x^2 + 1)

then by substituting to cosh(y) = [exp(y) + exp(-y)] / 2

then, I can find the answer of
cosh(y)=sqrt(1+x^2)

But, what should I say to justify my actions of selecting the +ve sign.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why not just substitute [tex]x = \frac{\left(e^y - e^{-y}\right)}{2}[/tex] into the expression [tex]\sqrt{1+x^2}[/tex] and simplify?

Thanks, but I'd like to find cosh(y) without prior knowledge that it's equal to sqrt(1+x^2)

For real y, exp(y)>0.

Utilize the identity:
[tex]Cosh^{2}(y)-Sinh^{2}(y)=1[/tex]
Along with the requirement that Cosh(y) is a strictly positive function.
(Alternatively, that it is an even function with Cosh(0)=1)

Last edited:
still don't quite understand

arildno pretty much gave you the identity that you need. If you need to prove it, Just replace cosh y and sinh y with their exponential definitions and simplify. Then isolate cosh y on the left hand side and it is clear. Basically when we take the final square root, one could normally argue you could have either the positive or the negative root. However cosh is always positive.

There are different ways to approach the title of this thread, depending on what you are given to start with and what constraints are imposed... which should include your working definitions of sinh and cosh.

Rather than merely proving an identity, it appears that the OP wishes to obtain the title by using the definitions of sinh and cosh starting from their definitions using the sum and difference of exponential functions. In addition, one might taking the point of view that one doesn't know at this stage any properties of cosh except for its working definition. So, it might be "cheating" to use any other properties of cosh which you didn't derive already.

cks, is this correct?

(If I'm not mistaken, my suggestion "For real y, exp(y)>0" provides a reason to choose the positive sign.)

Oh, I see thank you. Let me rephrase what you all said

exp(y) = x +- sqrt(x^2 +1) & exp(-y) = -x +- sqrt(x^2 + 1)

exp(y) is always > 0

so if we select exp(y) = x - sqrt(x^2 +1)

and most importantly , sqrt(x^2 +1) > x

so exp(y) < 0 which is false.

As a result, we have to select exp(y) = x + sqrt(x^2 +1)

The similar argument can be applied to exp(-y)

Thank you all of you, really appreciate that.

Question 1: What is sinh(y)?

Sinh(y) is a mathematical function called the hyperbolic sine function, which is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right-angled triangle with a hypotenuse of length y.

Question 2: What is cosh(y)?

Cosh(y) is a mathematical function called the hyperbolic cosine function, which is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse in a right-angled triangle with a hypotenuse of length y.

Question 3: What is the relationship between sinh(y) and cosh(y)?

The hyperbolic sine and cosine functions are related by the identity cosh^2(y) - sinh^2(y) = 1. This means that cosh(y) is the square root of the sum of 1 and the square of sinh(y).

Question 4: How can we show that cosh(y) = sqrt(1+x^2) if sinh(y) = x?

If sinh(y) = x, then we can substitute x for sinh(y) in the identity cosh^2(y) - sinh^2(y) = 1. This gives us cosh^2(y) - x^2 = 1. Solving for cosh(y), we get cosh(y) = sqrt(1+x^2).

Question 5: What is the significance of cosh(y) = sqrt(1+x^2)?

This identity shows that the hyperbolic cosine function is closely related to the Pythagorean theorem, just as the cosine function is related to the Pythagorean theorem in circular trigonometry. It also helps us understand the behavior of hyperbolic functions and their graphs.