Does a planets orbit ever go chaotic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of chaos in planetary orbits due to the gravitational interactions between planets. The article linked describes how long-term stability is maintained through resonance, and a simulation of a restricted 3-body problem is provided to further explore the concept of chaos in planetary orbits. However, it is noted that it would require a significant perturbation for the orbits to become chaotic in a short time period.
Hamish Cruickshank
Okay, I am doing grade 12 physics in australia and I was wondering about systems of planets interacting with each others gravity and whether this could cause chaos with orbits.

If all the other planets in out solar system effect one another, does there ever end up a point where the clockwork orbits will go chaotic? I don't know a lot about chaos, but there must become a point with Newtons gravitational laws and Keplars laws where it all goes pear-shaped and one of the planets orbits gets all messed up.

Could you predict when this would happen?

Youll have to excuse my punctuation as I am using a mac and the damn apostrophe won't work... grrr

Physics news on Phys.org
The planets orbits are chaotic (for some definitions of chaos)
Long term stability is probably due to resonanance where planets ahe settled into orbits where they each nudge each other into stability.
This article describes it rather better than I have!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12416923.900.html

If you want to see the dynamic complexity of just a (restricted) 3-body problem look here: http://cmvl.cs.concordia.ca/publications/r3b-06.ps.gz (at least I think that's the one with nice pics...)

Can the orbits go chaotic tho?

First thought would be that it would require an unphysically huge perturbation -- at least in the short time.

That applet's very nice :smile:

Cool thanks I'll check it out

1. What is chaos theory and how does it relate to planetary orbits?

Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics and physics that studies the behavior of complex systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. This means that small changes in the initial conditions of a system can lead to drastically different outcomes. In the context of planetary orbits, chaos theory helps us understand why the paths of planets around a star can sometimes be unpredictable.

2. Can a planet's orbit ever become completely chaotic?

No, a planet's orbit can never become completely chaotic. While it is possible for small disturbances to cause some degree of unpredictability in a planetary orbit, the overall motion of the planet will always follow predictable patterns due to the laws of physics. This means that planets will continue to orbit their stars in a relatively stable manner.

3. How do scientists study the stability of planetary orbits?

Scientists use computer simulations and mathematical models to study the stability of planetary orbits. By inputting different initial conditions and parameters, they can predict how a planet's orbit may change over time. Additionally, observations of planetary orbits in our solar system and beyond can provide valuable information about their stability.

4. What factors can cause a planet's orbit to become chaotic?

There are several factors that can contribute to the chaotic behavior of a planet's orbit. These include the gravitational pull of other objects in the solar system, such as other planets or moons, as well as the shape and orientation of the planet's orbit. Even small variations in these factors can lead to unpredictable changes in the planet's orbit over time.

5. Is chaos in planetary orbits a cause for concern?

No, chaos in planetary orbits is not a cause for concern. While it may seem unsettling that the paths of planets can be affected by small disturbances, the overall stability of the solar system is not at risk. In fact, chaos in planetary orbits can lead to interesting phenomena, such as resonances between planets or the discovery of new objects in the solar system.