Estimating Bullet Terminal Velocity from Fracture Energy of Tempered Glass

In summary: Energy = J = Nm/m^2 = N/m^2 = Nm^(-2). Stress = N/m^2 = N/m^2 = N/m^(-2). need a volume multiplyer to get J ?
Air
1. The question
This question is about the design of a car seat belt. The seat belt restraints a passenger when the car is involved in an accident.

Use definitions of stress and strain to show that stress x strain has the same units as energy stored per unit volume of seat belt.

Homework Equations

Deriving question hence no specific equation required.

The Attempt at a Solution

stress x strain = force/area x extension\length = Nm/m^3 = N/m^2 = Nm^(-2)
energy stored per unit volume of seat belt = J/m^34. The problem occurring
I am not getting the same unit so it's contradicting the question. Can I have help as to where I have gone wrong. :confused: Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: What is the definition of the Joule? (In terms of Newtons)

Joules = Newton Meter

energy stored per unit volume of seat belt = J/m^3 = Nm/m^3 = N/m^2 = Nm^(-2).

:smile: Thanks.

Air said:
Joules = Newton Meter

energy stored per unit volume of seat belt = J/m^3 = Nm/m^3 = N/m^2 = Nm^(-2).

:smile: Thanks.
A pleasure :smile:

hi, I have a question about this relation btw Stress/Energy.
if I know the failure stress/fracture of tempered glass, (~17000 psi = 117 MPa),
how do I relate that to fracture energy of that glass? or are they completely different things?

Energy = J = Nm
Stress = N/m^2
need a volume multiplyer to get J ?

basically, I need fracture energy of tempered glass, and so far, I was only able to find
failure stress of glass.

thank you.

Hi wooz, welcome to PF. Can you define what you mean by fracture energy here? There are several different energies associated with brittle fracture. The one often described as "fracture energy" has units J m-2 and incorporates crack length. On the other hand, the fracture toughness of tempered glass is a material constant that doesn't depend on crack length, but does depend on loading geometry. It would help if you told us a little more about what kind of information you need.

thanks Mapes. sorry about the poor wording.
basically, I need to estimate the bullet terminal velocity from the fracture energy of tempered glass when it breaks. E = 0.5mv^2, I know the mass of bullet. I can estimate the velocity when I know the energy right?

for example, to penetrate human skin, it requires 20 J/cm^2.
I know the mass, area of bullet, then I can estimate the terminal velocity.

I guess I should say energy require to fracture/penetrate tempered glass.
not sure if failure stress of tempered glass is actually related to the fracture energy.

thanks.

What is stress?

Stress is a measure of the internal forces within a material that arise when it is subjected to external forces or loads. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

What is strain?

Strain is a measure of the deformation or change in shape of a material in response to an applied stress. It is typically expressed as a ratio of the change in length or size of the material to its original length or size.

How are stress and strain related?

Stress and strain are directly related to each other through the material's elastic modulus, also known as Young's modulus. This modulus represents the stiffness or resistance of a material to deformation, and the ratio of stress to strain is equal to the elastic modulus.

What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is temporary and reversible, meaning that a material will return to its original shape after the applied stress is removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and irreversible, resulting in a permanent change in shape or size of the material.

How is energy related to stress and strain?

Energy is required to deform or change the shape of a material, and this energy can be stored in the material as potential energy. The amount of energy stored is directly related to the amount of stress and strain applied to the material, and can be calculated using the material's elastic modulus and the amount of deformation.