Why does the colour black heat faster than white?

In summary: But that doesn't mean that red light goes faster than blue light. In the vacuum of space, red and blue light both go at the speed of light. And in air, they both go slower than that. (But red still goes slower than blue.)In summary, someone is required to ask questions as part of their physics assignment and they have asked a variety of questions regarding color, light, and basic physics concepts. The answers to these questions include explanations of why black heats faster than white, how rainbows are formed, why diamonds sparkle, and why water cools down slower than it heats up. They also include Newton's three laws of motion, the concept of refraction, and an explanation for why a person
BryceG
I am required to ask questions as part of my physics assignment at school. I am in Yr 11 physics btw. If some people can please answer these that would be great. Before anyone says i should know some of these or that i could find out by surfing the internet, i know that i canm but none the less i would stil be required to ask questions to a person/s about physics.

Thanks in advance.

1)Why does the colour black heat faster than white?

2)How and why are rainbows formed?

3)Why does a diamond sparkle?

4)why does water cool down so much slower than it heats up?

5)What are Newton's three laws?

6)Why can a person lie on a bed of nails and not be injured?

7)What is a Black hole?

8)When you look into water why do objects appear to be in a different spot than if you were looking from underwater?

9)Is there any truth in the statement "Red is the fastest color"?

10)What are potential and kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you were required to ask questions. Are you required to get any answers?

yes, i wouldn't bother posting them if u didnt want answers

1)Why does the colour black heat faster than white?
Black absorbs all colors of light, white reflects them: light is energy, i.e. heat.

2)How and why are rainbows formed?
Different colors of light are refracted at different angles by drops of water in the air. In order to see the same color, the light must go at the same angle from the sun to your eye which is why a rainbow is a circular arc.

Same answer, really. Different colors of light are refracted at different angles. Diamond has a very high refractive index so it is much more apparent than with glass or crystal.

4)why does water cool down so much slower than it heats up?
I didn't know it did! If you take two equal glasses of water, one at, say, 10 degrees above room temperature, the other at 10 degrees below room temperature, they should go to room temperature in the same time.

5)What are Newton's three laws?
I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

II. The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma. Acceleration and force are vectors (as indicated by their symbols being displayed in slant bold font); in this law the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

III. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
I got those from http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/Newton3laws.html and I got that url by going to "google.com" and entering "Newton's Laws". If you are learning to use the internet to answer physics questions, I recommend you become familiar with google!

I, personally, wouldn't want to do it but if there are enough nails, the weight of your body is spread across all the nails so there is only a little force on each one. Think of it this way: if you put the nails right up against one another, you would have a flat metal surface!

7)What is a Black hole?
A mass so concentrated (we are talking about the mass of the sun squeezed into a few cubic millimeters here) that its "escape velocity" is greater than the speed of light.

8)When you look into water why do objects appear to be in a different spot than if you were looking from underwater?
Refraction again. When the light wave passes from the water to the air, on its way to your eye, the change in speed causes it to bend at an angle. Of course, your eye and brain only know the final angle of the light so you "see" the object as if it were on that line.

I don't think there is any sense in it!

I'll just add a few notes to Halls' answers.

HallsofIvy said:
Same answer, really. Different colors of light are refracted at different angles. Diamond has a very high refractive index so it is much more apparent than with glass or crystal.
That especially high refractive index, coupled with the way the diamond is cut, cause much total internal reflection within the diamond: the light bounces around inside, until it finds a straight path out. (In ordinary glass, the light would leak out the sides instead of reflecting back out where it came in.)
I, personally, wouldn't want to do it but if there are enough nails, the weight of your body is spread across all the nails so there is only a little force on each one. Think of it this way: if you put the nails right up against one another, you would have a flat metal surface!
Think of it this way: Would a person want to lie on a bed of nails with only one nail?
Only in the sense that the refractive index of many transparent substances (like glass or water) depends on the wavelength. And red light generally has a lower index of refraction than blue light. Which means that red light does go faster in glass or water.

1. Why does the colour black appear to heat up faster than white?

Black objects absorb more light and energy compared to white objects. This means that when light hits a black object, it is converted into heat energy at a faster rate, causing the object to heat up faster.

2. Is it because black objects have a higher temperature?

No, the temperature of an object is not related to its color. The temperature of an object is determined by its material, not its color.

3. Does the color of an object affect its ability to emit heat?

Yes, the color of an object can affect its ability to emit heat. Darker colors, such as black, are better at absorbing and emitting heat compared to lighter colors like white.

4. Can black and white objects have the same temperature even though one appears to be hotter?

Yes, black and white objects can have the same temperature, but the black object will still appear to be hotter because it absorbs more light and energy, giving off the illusion of a higher temperature.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for why black objects absorb more light than white objects?

Yes, black objects have a higher amount of pigments that are able to absorb a wider range of light wavelengths compared to white objects. This allows them to absorb more light and energy, making them appear to heat up faster.