Ladder Operator/hermiticity

• Thread starter GAGS
  • Start date
In summary: QM come from the Lie algebra of the SO(3) group. They can be used to generate all the basis of an irreducible representation. He also mentions that in another physical case, the SHO, the commutators of position and momentum operators can be used to generate the ladder operators.
GAGS
Hello everybody, I have few queries in Quantum.Can anybody tell me:-
1.) Ladder operators are very well defined as L+/- = LX (+/-) iLY.
But what is its significance and from where it found its origination.
2.) Condition for any operator being HERMITIAN, please don’t give mathematical response of this i.e. adjoint(operator) = operator, i know that. Please tell me in sense of physically , by giving example if possible.
With regards

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Ladder operators originate from the specific derivation you are doing, e.g. into solution of the harmonic oscillator. The significance is that if that operator acts on your system you are raised/lowered to the next eigenstate.

2) It looks like there's math, but this is a physical response...

By definition, a an observable Q is something that you can directly measure, therefore it must be real. Mathematically: [tex]Q = Q*[/tex]
But we also know that the expectation of Q is: [tex]<\psi|Q\psi>[/tex]
But by definition: [tex]<\psi|Q\psi>=<Q\psi|\psi>[/tex]
Which tells us that Q equals its adjoint.

1- I think that the existence of shift operators is a simple result posed by the method of solution of some kinds of problems in QM theory

Whenever you do a measurement of an observable corresponding to some operator, your measurement yields one of its eigenvalues (a postulate of QM). Hermitian operators are operators with real eigenvalues, since things we measure are real numbers. Therefore a Hermitian operator has potential to correspond to a measurable observable.

GAGS said:
Hello everybody, I have few queries in Quantum.Can anybody tell me:-
1.) Ladder operators are very well defined as L+/- = LX (+/-) iLY.
But what is its significance and from where it found its origination.
2.) Condition for any operator being HERMITIAN, please don’t give mathematical response of this i.e. adjoint(operator) = operator, i know that. Please tell me in sense of physically , by giving example if possible.
With regards

1.) Physical states are vectors in certain representation of the symmetry group. In the case of symmetry group SO(3)(or SU(2), they share same algebra), the way to construct the irreducible representation is given by Cartan. We first choose a standard state, then consecutively operating on the standard state by certain well-designed operator. It turns out that from the Lie algebra of SO(3) group, we can construct the so-called ladder operators which operate on the standard state would generate all basis of certain irreducible representation.

Similarly, in another physical case, the SHO, from the commutators of position and momentum operators, we can construct the similar ladder operators which transform the state to another state belonging to different energy level.

(2) One seeming reasonable sense is that, the eigenvalues(the quantities we measured in the laboratory) of Hermitian operators are real. This is consistent with the postulates of QM. Moreover, since the generators of a unitary symmetry can be Hermitian. Hence, the symmetry would give us main origin of physical observables.
BTW, precisely speaking, we should say the observables in QM must be represented as Hermitian operators. Not all operators in QM should be Hermitian.

-----
Everyone is welcome to correct my concept.
Ismaili

1. What is a ladder operator in quantum mechanics?

A ladder operator is a mathematical tool used to describe the energy levels and transitions of quantum systems. It is a type of operator that acts on the wavefunction of a system and raises or lowers its energy by a fixed amount.

2. How does a ladder operator relate to hermiticity?

Ladder operators are considered hermitian operators, meaning they are self-adjoint and have real eigenvalues. This is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to determine the possible energy states of a system and the probabilities of transitioning between them.

3. What is the significance of the commutator between ladder operators?

The commutator between ladder operators determines the allowed energy transitions of a quantum system. When the commutator is non-zero, it indicates that energy can be exchanged between the system and its environment. When the commutator is zero, it indicates that energy is conserved and the system is isolated.

4. Are ladder operators only applicable to specific types of systems?

No, ladder operators can be used to describe the energy levels and transitions of a wide range of quantum systems, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. They are a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics and are applicable to many different systems.

5. How are ladder operators used in practice?

Ladder operators are used in quantum mechanics to solve problems related to energy states and transitions. They can be used to calculate the probabilities of different energy transitions and to determine the energy spectrum of a system. They are also used in the development of quantum mechanical models and theories.