Which University is Better for Studying Plasma Physics: Queen's or UCL?

• Thread starter zheng89120
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is discussing the decision between attending Imperial or a top physics school in the US for a BSc degree in plasma physics. Rankings from Shanghai Jiao Tong and Times Good University Guide are mentioned, with Queen Mary University of London having a potential advantage in string theory. The importance of research groups and overall institute caliber is also discussed. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to consider location and not to make a decision too early about pursuing a PhD.
zheng89120
I have been accepted into both unis for a while and still havn't decided. My deadline to decide (from UCL) is Aug. 8th. I want to go to Imperial MSc or Ph.D for plasma physics. If not, a top school in physics in the US would be nice (i.e. Chicago). If you have any idea which one may be better, vote for one, explanation or no explanation. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm, judging from the rankings from Shanghai Jiao Tong (which I hear are supposed to have the most well regarded rankings system), Univ College London is number 4 in Europe, wheras they rank Queen Mary Univ London as 83-123! This was for 2005 though, I can't seem to find the upto date ones.

Times Good University guide ranks UCL as number 6 and Queen Mary as 42, so it seems Queens is quite a bit of UCL yet again, however this a general ranking of course, not physics dept specific.

I have no experience with the Queen Mary physics dept, but I do think it's supposed to be quite small, but has a good reputation for string theory (Think that's the place Michael Green was actually at during the conception of string theory), so it probably has a string theory dept that has a relativley better reputation than rest of the uni.

If you're interested in plasma physics I would just check the research area of both the UCL and Queens dept website, and see which seems the best from there...

h0dgey84bc said:
hmm, judging from the rankings from Shanghai Jiao Tong (which I hear are supposed to have the most well regarded rankings system), Univ College London is number 4 in Europe, wheras they rank Queen Mary Univ London as 83-123! This was for 2005 though, I can't seem to find the upto date ones.

Times Good University guide ranks UCL as number 6 and Queen Mary as 42, so it seems Queens is quite a bit of UCL yet again, however this a general ranking of course, not physics dept specific.

I have no experience with the Queen Mary physics dept, but I do think it's supposed to be quite small, but has a good reputation for string theory (Think that's the place Michael Green was actually at during the conception of string theory), so it probably has a string theory dept that has a relativley better reputation than rest of the uni.

If you're interested in plasma physics I would just check the research area of both the UCL and Queens dept website, and see which seems the best from there...

Firstly, presumably, the OP means Queen's college Belfast. Secondly, one should be wary about ranking systems: for example, if one is intending on applying for undergraduate studies, then the teaching is going to be more important, whereas if one is applying for graduate studies, the specific research groups are going to be the thing to be looked at in more detail. Since the OP is talking about a BSc degree, then there is no need to look into whether or not each university has a plasma physics group, or whether it is world renowned.

As an aside, yes, Queen Mary was where Green was working during the 'superstring revolution.'

cristo said:
Firstly, presumably, the OP means Queen's college Belfast.

Ah my apologies if this is the case...UCL got me thinking of London Unis...

cristo said:
Secondly, one should be wary about ranking systems: for example, if one is intending on applying for undergraduate studies, then the teaching is going to be more important, whereas if one is applying for graduate studies, the specific research groups are going to be the thing to be looked at in more detail.

Yeah I agree, I quoted the two sets of rankings, simply because I have no first hand experience with either depts and no one else had answered, so thought the rankings would be better than nothing, and give at least some raw indicator. The times list is geared towards undergraduates though, and considers things like student satisfaction, teaching quality etc. They have a physics specific list too http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php, and other resources for undergrads, which may be of use.

cristo said:
Since the OP is talking about a BSc degree, then there is no need to look into whether or not each university has a plasma physics group, or whether it is world renowned. As an aside, yes, Queen Mary was where Green was working during the 'superstring revolution.'

I think although the quality of the research group is not directly going to affect the quality of your education (teaching, courses you do etc) all that much. If you know you want to do a PhD in plasma physics, graduating from a uni with a strong plasma physics goup, could be of an advantage. i.e. you will get to know professors, who will be well known in that field, and able to write strong references for you etc. Also there may be more opportunities to undertake lab projects (especially in your last year) that are directly related to the future research you want to do in your PhD.

But yes I would probaby agree that the overall calibre of the institue is of greater importance than the group for an undergrad.

Just out of interest is Queen Mary still regarded as having a strong string group then? is it anywhere near Imperial?

For an ugrad degree I think where you are going to live is most important.
Without wishing to be too insulting - while still at school deciding that in 4years you are going to do a PhD in a particular area is perhaps a little premature? Although getting to know people in that field and what interesting work is being done will be usefull - in general PhD programs in the UK will look equally on anyone from a decent ugrad course.

The big differences:
UCL is a large (by UK standards) institute in the middle of a big city, there are lots of people from different backgrounds (I'm guessing the OP is chinese?) and doing different courses. there is also a lot to do outside lectures!
Queens is a nice enough place and Belfast is improving as a city, but it is a lot more monocultural (or unfortunately two distinct cultures).

Sorry for not being specifit, I meant Queen's University in Kingston, Canada. But from what I know, its similar to Queen's University in Belfast, both being upper tier national universities.

Last edited:
I will say this, if you've never lived in London before you can find you hate it very quickly and very strongly.

I'm in London at the moment as my partner is finishing her studies here and, god, I hate this city. Everything is dirty. Everyone is scared of knives. RUDE! You've never see rude before. The tube is like a cattle train, the buses are full of scum.

London is an expensive city. I'm guessing you'll be a poor student, which adds to the misery. It can be a fun city to visit for a week, but I wouldn't recommend it for any longer than that (unless you are earning over £40k. Then it's a different world).

1. What are the differences between the BSc Physics program at Queen's University and UCL?

The BSc Physics programs at Queen's University and UCL have some similarities, such as a strong focus on core physics concepts and laboratory experience. However, there are also notable differences. Queen's University's program has a greater emphasis on theoretical physics, while UCL's program has a stronger emphasis on experimental physics and research opportunities. Additionally, the curriculum and course offerings may vary between the two institutions.

2. How do the reputations of Queen's University and UCL compare in the field of physics?

Both Queen's University and UCL have strong reputations in the field of physics. Queen's University is known for its rigorous academic programs and high-quality research, while UCL is recognized as one of the top universities in the world for physics research. Ultimately, the reputation of an institution may vary depending on individual perspectives and priorities.

3. What are the career prospects for graduates of the BSc Physics program at Queen's University and UCL?

Graduates of the BSc Physics programs at Queen's University and UCL have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths for physics graduates include research and development, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. Both Queen's University and UCL have strong connections with industry and offer career support to students, which can enhance job prospects.

4. Are there any notable differences in the teaching styles between Queen's University and UCL's BSc Physics programs?

While teaching styles may vary between individual professors, both Queen's University and UCL prioritize hands-on learning and practical application of concepts in their BSc Physics programs. However, UCL may have a stronger emphasis on group work and project-based learning, while Queen's University may have a more traditional lecture-based approach. It is recommended to attend a class or speak with students from each institution to get a better understanding of the teaching styles.

5. What are the admission requirements for the BSc Physics program at Queen's University and UCL?

The admission requirements for the BSc Physics program at Queen's University and UCL may vary depending on the applicant's academic background and country of origin. Generally, both institutions require a strong background in math and science, as well as high grades in relevant courses. For international students, English language proficiency may also be required. It is recommended to check each institution's website for specific admission requirements and deadlines.