Understanding the Net Work Energy Concept: Defining F in Work Equations"

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work, which is equal to force multiplied by distance. There is confusion about what the F in the equation represents, whether it is the net force or the force being exerted. The same concept applies to the equation for net work, where all forces that do work must be included. If the object is not rotating, the net work can be calculated by multiplying the net force by the distance, or by calculating the work done by each individual force.
caljuice
I've been confused about work. I know it equals F x D. But what is F? Is it the netforce or the force being exerted.

If you are pushing up an object up an incline with 200N and the opposing force of gravity + friction is 100N for D=20m. Is Work, Fnet x D or 200N x D?

Does the same apply to the Worknet in this equation --> delta = $

Worknet=$ke + $pe + Wf

If I wanted to find $ke and had wf and pe and the components of work. Would I use Fnet or force that's moving the object.

I always thought it was Fnet but some questions have been confusing me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi caljuice! :smile:

You only need to know the work done so that you can use the work-energy theorem …

so you have to include all the forces (that do work) … gravity, friction, pushing forces, everything.

(The normal force, of course, does no work)

If the body isn't rotating (so all its parts have the same velocity), then you can either multiply the net force by distance, to get "net work", or you can calcualte the work done by each force separately. :smile:

F in work equations represents the force that is being applied to an object. This can be the net force, which takes into account all the forces acting on the object, or it can be a specific force that is being exerted. In your example of pushing an object up an incline, F would be the net force of 200N, as this is the force that is overcoming the opposing forces of gravity and friction.

In the equation Worknet = $ke + $pe + Wf, Fnet is the net force that is being applied to the object. The other components, $ke (kinetic energy), $pe (potential energy), and Wf (work done by external forces), all contribute to the overall net work being done on the object.

If you wanted to find $ke using the components of work, you would still use the net force (Fnet) as this is the force that is causing the change in kinetic energy. It is important to always use the correct force in work equations to ensure accurate calculations.

It is understandable to be confused about work and the different forces involved, but it is important to remember that F in work equations represents the force that is being applied to an object. Whether it is the net force or a specific force, it is crucial to use the correct value to accurately calculate work.

What is net work energy concept?

The net work energy concept is a physical principle that describes the relationship between work and energy. It states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

How is net work calculated?

Net work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the difference between net work and total work?

Net work refers to the work done on an object, while total work refers to the sum of all the work done on an object. Net work only takes into account the work done in the direction of the force, while total work considers all work done, regardless of direction.

What is the relationship between net work and energy?

The net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that if there is a net work done on an object, its kinetic energy will change by the same amount. If no net work is done, then the object's kinetic energy will remain the same.

What factors affect net work?

The amount of net work done on an object is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force applied, as well as the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The mass of the object also plays a role, as a larger mass requires more force to produce the same amount of net work.