Why are Koreans being targeted for kidnapping and beheading by extremist groups?

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
In summary: I think it's important to note that this verse specifically refers to the Meccans, and does not apply to all infidels. Just because the Quran allows for the killing of infidels does not mean that Muslims should go around doing it. There are many other verses in the Quran that speak to the proper way to live and worship.
decibel
first, the berg guy, the paul johnson, now they got a korean man, this is really getting out of control, someone has to stop these people from cutting peoples heads off and fu*kin videotaping it, (excuse my language), but being muslim/arabic myself, i really hate hearing about/seeing these things. nowhere in the quran does it say that u can kill someone and get away with it, it condemns it just as the bible does, so i have no idea the hell why they think theyre doing something good, because these guys are going STRAIGHT to hell...anyway, i guess the koreans arent pulling out, so here's comes another head

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I'm Muslim/Arabic too, and I think those guys are idiots.

inform me about the curan please, i thought they could kill infidels like the bible says we can kill heathens?

the bible says we can kill heathens? Since when?

I am of an arabic decent, also; however, I am not Muslim. I have always wondered if the Koran claims you can kill an infidel. I'm actually an athiest, and have always had the statement Muslims are bad for this reason, and it becomes very tiring. Would be very nice if someone could confirm this.

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
inform me about the curan please, i thought they could kill infidels like the bible says we can kill heathens?

No. I believe that killing is only allowed in warfare, self-defense, and, most vaguely, against those "making mischief in the community". I think you would have to know Arabic, specifically Arabic as it was spoken in the 8th century, to know what is meant by that last part. I suppose fanatics could always use that last bit to justify killing anyone who disagreed with them in Muslim lands, even other Muslims.

Also, there are gradations of "infidelness". There are specific protections given in the Koran to "people of the book", the book being the bible, and "the people" being Jews and Christians. Many Moslem scholars believe they have so much in common with Jews and CHristians that they should join with them to fight against the common enemy - people like me.

Njorl

mooberrymarz said:
the bible says we can kill heathens? Since when?

Psalms, Chapter 2

2:1
Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
2:2
The kings of the Earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
2:3
Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
2:4
He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision.
2:5
Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
2:6
Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
2:7
I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
2:8
Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the Earth for thy possession.
2:9
Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
2:10
Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
2:11
Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
2:12
Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

EDIT : If this is too much of a digression from this thread, please ignore/remove it.

Last edited:
Perhaps those assuming that the Quran gives Muslims the permission to kill "infidels" are referring to Surah 9. If so, I'd gladly explain it to you, and any other verse if you wish.

I'd be most interested in hearing the true meaning of the verse, you are referring to as Surah 9.

Surah 9 speaks of the treaty between Muslims and Meccans. That treaty was set forth to allow the Muslims to pray in Mecca without being objected by the Meccans. However, this treaty only applies to a few months, known as "al-Ashhor al-Haraam", or the forbidden months. You should also note that the Muslims and Meccans were already at war, a war that the Meccans started.

During the forbidden months, Muslims were not allowed to attack Meccans or wage war unless they were attacked first, meaning they were only allowed to defend themselves. However, when the months have passed, Muslims were allowed to seek out the Meccans and "kill them where [they] found them". In other words, they were allowed to continue their battles and do to the the Meccans what they did to them, without exceeding limits.

This specific verse is obviously misinterpreted by many Muslims, especially those who dub themselves "Mujahideen". They seem to have some weird understanding that this verse gives them the right to kill non-believers, when Islam clearly forbids killing innocent people unjustly ([6:151], [5:32] and [17:33]), regardless of their religion (109:1-6).

Verse in question:
[9:5] But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Njorl said:
, and, most vaguely, against those "making mischief in the community"

You mean by being a witch, a disobediant child, wearing clothes made of two or more different fabrics, being homosexual, being a rape victim, sowing two crops in the same field, etc, etc, etc?

Leviticus isn't vague in any way, shape or form. It gives explicit instructions for what "infractions" deserve death.

here goes another one

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=535&ncid=535&e=1&u=/ap/20040622/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_4

sad, just sad... i really don't support this and most of the muslim community doesent, these guys think they're doing something right...to hell they are, they say "alahu akbar" when cutting off someones head like they did to nick berg, ur supposed to say that when u slaughter a goat, or sheep on eid, not when u take the life of a human being. i know they are trying to make a point, but godamn, make it in a different way

Last edited by a moderator:
decibel and devious:
Thank you both so much for your posts. I was desperately hoping there were Muslims out there who abhorred this behavior. I knew you had to be out there, but I'd not heard anything from any of you! :smile: The fanatics that are so full of hate sure do make life difficult for loving people who wish to live their religions the way they want to. I truly appreciate hearing your thoughts on these events.

there are many many other muslims that think the same way

There are many christians who think it's a great idea to roam around killing people. And nutters of other faiths too.

decibel said:
there are many many other muslims that think the same way
I'm glad. And I'm happy to finally meet some of you - even if it's only on the internet. We don't have many mosques in rural Oregon (where I live). :smile:

And Adam - I agree completely. I do (unfortunately) know more than a few of them. It's sickening. It's a part of religion I'll never understand.

It's sickening. It's a part of religion I'll never understand.

It's the part of religion where jerks manipulate what was written or preached, to benefit themselves.

For instance, the part in Christianity (I think), where it claims that if you pray for forgiveness, you will get it.

A lot of Christians I know you use as an excuse to break the commandments (stealing, lying).

1. Why are Koreans being targeted for kidnapping and beheading by extremist groups?

There are a few reasons why Koreans may be targeted by extremist groups. One possible reason is the involvement of South Korea in the US-led coalition against ISIS, which has made them a potential target for retaliation. Additionally, Koreans are known for their strong work ethic and education, making them attractive targets for ransom or propaganda purposes.

2. Are there any specific regions or areas where Koreans are being targeted?

While there is no specific region or area where Koreans are exclusively targeted, there have been reported cases of Koreans being kidnapped and targeted by extremist groups in countries such as Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria. However, it is important to note that these incidents can occur in any part of the world where extremist groups are active.

3. Have there been any measures taken to protect Koreans from being targeted?

The Korean government has implemented various measures to protect its citizens from being targeted by extremist groups. These include issuing travel warnings and advisories for high-risk areas, providing security training for Korean nationals traveling abroad, and working with other countries and international organizations to address the issue.

4. What should Koreans do if they are traveling to areas where there is a risk of being targeted?

If traveling to high-risk areas, Koreans are advised to register with their respective embassies and follow any safety guidelines or precautions provided by local authorities. It is also recommended to avoid traveling alone and to be cautious of any suspicious activity or individuals.

5. Is there any way to prevent Koreans from being targeted in the future?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent Koreans from being targeted by extremist groups, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. These include staying informed about potential risks and avoiding unnecessary travel to high-risk areas, as well as promoting peace and understanding among different communities to prevent radicalization and extremism.

Back