Isosceles Triangular Prism Related Rates Problem

In summary, the problem involves a trough with isosceles triangular ends being filled with water at a rate of 14 ft3/min. The goal is to find the rate at which the water level is rising when the depth is 7 inches. After setting up the relevant equations, it is determined that there is a relationship between the base (b) and height (h) of the triangle, where b = 5h. The correct equation is then used to find the solution, with a final result of 0.4817 ft/min.
maladroit

Homework Statement

A trough is 9 ft long and its ends have the shape of isosceles triangles that are 5 ft across at the top and have a height of 1 ft. If the trough is being filled with water at a rate of 14 ft3/min, how fast is the water level rising when the water is 7 inches deep?

I know b, h, l, dv/dt, dl/dt.
I need to first find db/dt then solve for dh/dt

Homework Equations

Volume of Iso. triangular prism= 1/2bh*l
dv/dt=1/2bh(dl/dt)+l(1/2b(dh/dt)+1/2h(db/dt)

I assume that dl/dt=0, so the new equation for the derivative is equal to.. dv/dt=l(1/2b(dh/dt)+1/2h(db/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

If anyone could just give me some direction where to start in solving for db/dt that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi maladroit! Welcome to PF! :smile:
maladroit said:
Volume of Iso. triangular prism= 1/2bh*l
dv/dt=1/2bh(dl/dt)+l(1/2b(dh/dt)+1/2h(db/dt)

oooh, that's far too complicated! :cry:

There's a relation between b and h, so write b in terms of h, and then differentiate! :wink:

That seems to be just what my problem is... I can't see the relationship between b and h.

I tried setting up a triangle and solving for what b is equal to in terms of h but I am still getting the wrong answer.
I used cos(theta)=(1/2b)/h, differentiated, and solved for what db/dt was equal to.

maladroit said:
That seems to be just what my problem is... I can't see the relationship between b and h.

uhh? :confused: … it's a triangle … it's the same all the way up … b = 5h.

Once I replaced the db/dt with the 5dh/dt and solved for the problem I got .4817 ft/min but that was incorrect.

The equation I used was...
14=9(1/2*5(dh/dt)+1/2*(7/12)5(dh/dt)

maladroit said:
The equation I used was...
14=9(1/2*5(dh/dt)+1/2*(7/12)5(dh/dt)

Sorry, not following that :confused:

can you write it out properly: what is v in terms of h, then what is dv/dt in terms of h, then what is dv/dt when h = 7/12. :smile:

Right!
I used the same equation I put before
dv/dt=l(1/2b(dh/dt)+1/2h(db/dt))
and, differentiating b=5h,

dv/dt=l(1/2b(dh/dt)+1/2h(5dh/dt))

Also, I really appreciate your help!

hmm … v = (22.5)h2, dv/dt = … ? :wink:

oh! I differentiated much too early... thank you so much for your help!

1. What is a triangular prism?

A triangular prism is a three-dimensional shape with two triangular bases and three rectangular faces. It is a type of prism, which is a polyhedron with two parallel and congruent polygonal bases connected by rectangular faces.

2. What is an isosceles triangular prism?

An isosceles triangular prism is a triangular prism where the two triangular bases are congruent, meaning they have the same shape and size. This type of prism has three rectangular faces that are also congruent to each other.

3. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem where the rates of change of two or more variables are related to each other. These problems often involve finding the rate of change of one variable in terms of the rate of change of another variable.

4. How do you solve an isosceles triangular prism related rates problem?

To solve an isosceles triangular prism related rates problem, you first need to identify the variables involved and their rates of change. Then, you can use the formula for the volume of a triangular prism to set up an equation relating the variables and their rates of change. Finally, use algebra and calculus techniques to solve for the desired rate of change.

5. What real-life applications involve isosceles triangular prism related rates problems?

Isosceles triangular prism related rates problems have various real-life applications, such as calculating the flow rate of a liquid through a triangular-shaped pipe or determining the rate at which the volume of a cone-shaped water tank changes as it is being filled. These types of problems are also commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the movement and changes of objects and systems.