Temperature during black hole collapse

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of gravitational blueshift and redshift as an object collapses to form a black hole. It is mentioned that for an observer on the surface of the collapsing object, the light from distant sources would be blueshifted. However, the temperature of the cosmic background would also appear to be infinite, which is deemed unphysical. This leads to a discussion about the assumptions made in this scenario and the effects of relative motion on the observed wavelength shift. Ultimately, it is concluded that for a surface-bound observer with finite acceleration, there would be a finite redshift or blueshift at the event horizon.
nickyrtr
Let's say you are an observer on the surface of a massive object that is collapsing to form an eventual black hole. As the object's surface approaches its own Schwarzschild radius, light from the object is increasingly redshifted, as seen by distant observers, approaching infinite redshift as the event horizon forms.

Correspondingly, you on the object surface see that light from distant sources is blueshifted. Now let us assume that the top layer of the object surface remains in thermal equilibrium with the incident radiation, consisting of the cosmic microwave background plus light from other stars and galaxies. As the object shrinks closer to its Schwarzschild radius, the blueshift raises the effective temperature of the cosmic background (and other sources), so it would seem that the object's surface temperature becomes infinite!

Surely this infinite temperature is unphysical, so what is the mistake in this picture I have described? Is the assumption of thermal equilibrium false? Do I misunderstand what blueshift means or how it works? Any explanation is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The blueshift isn't infinite, and, where blueshift might be expected, there can even be a redshift.

Consider an observer that freely falls along a radial worldline feet-first into a black hole. The stars directly above the observer are redshifted for the observer. Roughly, for these stars, Doppler redshift dominates gravitational blueshift.

Also, as you note, the time taken for stellar collapse might be too short to reach (either way) thermal equilibrium.

George Jones said:
The blueshift isn't infinite, and, where blueshift might be expected, there can even be a redshift.

Consider an observer that freely falls along a radial worldline feet-first into a black hole. The stars directly above the observer are redshifted for the observer. Roughly, for these stars, Doppler redshift dominates gravitational blueshift...

Well I was picturing an observer who is not falling freely, but who is supported by the surface of the collapsing object. This is the (non-inertial) reference frame of the matter that makes up the surface of the object itself.

For this surface-bound observer is the blueshift still always finite?

nickyrtr said:
For this surface-bound observer is the blueshift still always finite?

Yes, as long the surface observer doesn't experience unbounded 4-acceleration (infinite g-force) during the collapse.

George Jones said:
Yes, as long the surface observer doesn't experience unbounded 4-acceleration (infinite g-force) during the collapse.

Interesting. Will this surface-bound observer also reach the event horizon in finite proper time?

George Jones said:
nickyrtr said:
Interesting.
I wrote this without doing a calculation, and without looking at any references, i.e., I used

Wheeler's First Moral Principal: Never make a calculation until you know the answer. ... Courage: no one needs to know what the guess is. Therefore make it quickly, by instinct. A right guess reinforces this instinct. A wrong guess brings the refreshment of surprise.

I'll take a closer look.
nickyrtr said:
Will this surface-bound observer also reach the event horizon in finite proper time?

Yes. (Without using Wheeler's First Moral Principal)

I'm sure you're right with the acceleration. You don't need maths, just the comparison with the local free falling frame, like Rindler-Minkowski.

Perhaps my mistaken assumption was that light moving toward the collapsing star and light moving away from the star are affected equally by gravity. For example I found this formula on Wikipedia for the gravitational redshift of light emitted outward by the star:

[tex]z = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{r}}}-1[/tex]

Of course this diverges as the star's radius approaches rs, but perhaps this formula does not apply to light propagating inward, toward the star. Is there a different formula for the blueshift of inward-propagating light?

nickyrtr said:
Perhaps my mistaken assumption was that light moving toward the collapsing star and light moving away from the star are affected equally by gravity. For example I found this formula on Wikipedia for the gravitational redshift of light emitted outward by the star:

[tex]z = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{r_s}{r}}}-1[/tex]

Of course this diverges as the star's radius approaches rs, but perhaps this formula does not apply to light propagating inward, toward the star. Is there a different formula for the blueshift of inward-propagating light?

No, but this expression is valid only for an observer who has a fixed [itex]r[/itex] value in Schwarzschild coordinates; I call this type of observer a hovering observer.

Consider another "falling in" observer B in the neighbourhood of a hovering observer A, but with very slightly smaller [itex]r[/itex] than A. What wavelength shift for distant stars does B see? Due to relative motion between A and B, there is a Doppler redshift between A and B, so B sees the gravitational blueshift between the stars and A combined with the Doppler redshift between A and B.

Now, let A and B both approach the event horizon. A has unbounded 4-acceleration, and, if B has bounded 4-acceleration, the relative speed between A and B approaches the speed of light. Consequently, for B there is an infinite Doppler redshift combined with and infinite gravitational blueshift. The net result depends on the rates at which these two infinities are approached, and could be zero, finite redshift or blueshift, or infinite redshift or blueshift.

I maintain that there is finite redshift or blueshift for B with bounded 4-acceleration,

The relative velocity of an observer infalling from infinity is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{r}[/tex], IIRC. Combine that with your formula, you'll find z = 1 at the horizon.

Ich said:
The relative velocity of an observer infalling from infinity is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{r}[/tex], IIRC. Combine that with your formula, you'll find z = 1 at the horizon.

This is not what I get for the speed. Typo? For a derivation of the combined effect (which gives Ich's z result), see

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=861282#post861282.

I'm not sure if the last mathematical line is showing up correctly. The final result should be

[tex]f' = \frac{f}{1+\sqrt{\frac{2M}{r}}}.[/tex]

Last edited:
This is not what I get for the speed. Typo?
Yes, 1=2M, of course. But I see that you've calculated and posted all this long before.

George Jones said:
No, but this expression is valid only for an observer who has a fixed [itex]r[/itex] value in Schwarzschild coordinates; I call this type of observer a hovering observer.

Consider another "falling in" observer B in the neighbourhood of a hovering observer A, but with very slightly smaller [itex]r[/itex] than A. ... A has unbounded 4-acceleration, and, if B has bounded 4-acceleration, the relative speed between A and B approaches the speed of light. Consequently, for B there is an infinite Doppler redshift combined with and infinite gravitational blueshift. ..

OK, I think I understand now, thank you. Only a "hovering" observer ever sees infinite blueshift, and a surface-bound observer cannot possibly be hovering if the surface is contracting. Therefore, the contracting surface never sees an infinite effective temperature from the infalling radiation.

EDIT: Furthermore, it is impossible to hover long enough to even see the infinite blueshift, because you need an infinitely strong force to maintain the hovering!

Last edited:

1. What is the temperature during a black hole collapse?

The temperature during a black hole collapse is extremely high, reaching up to trillions of degrees Kelvin. This is due to the intense gravitational forces and compression of matter within the black hole.

2. Does the temperature vary during different stages of a black hole collapse?

Yes, the temperature does vary during different stages of a black hole collapse. As the black hole grows in size and mass, the temperature will increase due to the increased gravitational forces and compression of matter.

3. How does the temperature during a black hole collapse affect nearby objects?

The intense temperature during a black hole collapse can have a significant effect on nearby objects. It can cause extreme radiation and can even destroy nearby stars and planets.

4. Can the temperature during a black hole collapse be measured?

Currently, there is no way to directly measure the temperature during a black hole collapse. However, scientists can study the effects of the intense heat and radiation on nearby objects to gain insight into the temperature.

5. Is there a limit to how hot the temperature can get during a black hole collapse?

There is no known limit to how hot the temperature can get during a black hole collapse. It is theorized that the temperature can continue to increase until the black hole reaches its maximum size and mass.