Shrink Your Stomach: Can Smaller Meals Help?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stomach
In summary: There's a really good article about it that talks about how cells can adjust their sensitivity to a signal. It's interesting because it can help us to understand why sometimes things work the way they do.In summary, Cells can adjust their sensitivity to a signal, so by reducing your stomach size, you may be able to reduce hunger in the long run.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can you really shrink your stomach by eating smaller meals? Just something I've often heard.

Biology news on Phys.org
Well I suppose if it can be expanded by eating very hearty meals, like the competitive eaters do, it makes sense to me at least that it can shrink by eating smaller portions.

I am not sure what is a biological background, but I know from my own experience that after a few days of eating small meals even small meal can make you feel full.

Math Is Hard said:
Can you really shrink your stomach by eating smaller meals? Just something I've often heard.

I'm pretty sure that the only way to shrink your stomach in the way your talking about is through surgery.

Your stomach naturally shrinks and expands depending on various factors but I'm pretty sure if you eat small meals or you don't eat at all your stomach will shrink permanently.
What does happen though is it effects your dieting patterns which may make you 'think' your stomach has shrunk because you were only able to eat a lower amount of food.

I'll look more into it though it's a good question.

I am fairly sure (though have no proof) that eating less does indeed shrink your stomach.

But I wish to ask: to what end? It's not like a smaller stomach will cause you to lose weight, if that's where you're goin'.

The stomach is an extremely flexible organ and will simply expand as needed. Think about filling a nylon mesh bag. Empty it and crush it up, it will re-open quite small, but that doesn't mean you'll have any trouble stuffing it full of books. It's not like the resilience of the mesh is strong enough to resist putting a book in it.

well, if ghrelin is really reduced by bariatric surgery, it suggests that allowing your stomach to 'reset' at a smaller size may reduce hunger in the long run by allowing you to reach satiation sooner, at a smaller meal size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin

The expansion of the stomach during eating could trigger a pathway that gives feedback about the amount of extension. Eating less could sensitize the pathway, whereby a smaller extension would cause a higher response (a common biological feedback mechanism). I don't know if this is true, but it is something that could be looked into.

Here an article about the mechanosensitive cells in the stomach: http://www.pnas.org/content/102/41/14913.full

Here some material about desensitization (adaptation): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=mboc4&part=A2740#A2826
Search for the phrase "Cells Can Adjust Their Sensitivity to a Signal".

Last edited:

What is meant by "shrink your stomach"?

Shrinking your stomach refers to the process of reducing the size of your stomach through eating smaller meals. This can lead to a feeling of fullness with less food and potentially aid in weight loss.

Can smaller meals really help shrink your stomach?

Yes, eating smaller meals can help shrink your stomach over time. This is because consistently eating smaller portions can gradually decrease the size of your stomach, leading to a feeling of fullness with less food.

Is it healthy to shrink your stomach?

Shrinking your stomach can be a healthy option for weight management and can also improve digestion. However, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before significantly changing your eating habits.

How long does it take to shrink your stomach?

The timeframe for shrinking your stomach can vary depending on individual factors such as metabolism and diet. However, with consistent effort and patience, it is possible to see results within a few weeks to a couple of months.

Are there any other benefits to shrinking your stomach besides weight loss?

Yes, besides weight loss, shrinking your stomach can also improve digestion, reduce bloating, and potentially decrease the risk of overeating. It can also lead to a healthier relationship with food and mindful eating habits.