It's tragic but true: love is life and life is love

• Thread starter Desiree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Love
In summary, the saying "If you love something, let it go...if it comes back, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was!" is often misunderstood. It is not about setting someone free as a test, but rather letting go of our attachment to them. It is also important to not cling onto someone who doesn't love us and to move on if they don't want to be with us. Ultimately, we should not dwell on the possibility of someone coming back, but focus on our own happiness and growth.
Desiree
If you love something, let it go...if it comes back, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was!

What if the day she/he comes back...you are long gone?
What if some day you learn that she/he is long gone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Desiree said:
If you love something, let it go...if it comes back, it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was!

You'll both be dead in 100 years, so what difference does it make.

Desiree said:

If he/she didn't come back, then he/she didn't come back.

You can't wait for the stars to grow old before deciding he/she is gone. Your life is finite and the clock is ticking.

If I let the cat who lives with me -- who I love beyond anything sane -- go, she'd likely get run over by a car. She doesn't appear to mind captivity. We're both satisfied with the arrangement.

People, on the other hand, tend to get a bit peeved when under the perceived yoke of ownership. That's easy enough to fix. Treat people with respect.

I've never been a fan of that particular platitude

Desiree said:

The saying "If you love someone, set them free" is misunderstood. The point is not to set them free for their sake, and hope they come back, it is to relinquish the hold they have on you: your attachment to them.

If you set someone free as a test of whether or not they're really yours, nothing is solved. They own you.

Desiree said:

I think this theory was disproven in the movie Cliffhanger. Stallone let her go... she didn't come back.

James Bond always had girls come back to him.

Desiree said:
I've always thought that was the stupidist thing I'd ever heard. If you love someone and you let them go, they'll naturally assume that you don't love them, and find someone else that does.

The only way that saying could have a positive meaning is if you are clinging to someone that doesn't love you and/or you are hurting, and the right thing is to let them go because they don't want to be with you, in which case, don't sit around expecting them to return. Get over it and move on.

This saying has always struck a cord with me.

We only remember the past, we never know it when we see it, the mind goes back, but time goes on, and farewells should be forever. - Alfred Bester

Last edited:
Evo said:
I've always thought that was the stupidist thing I'd ever heard. If you love someone and you let them go, they'll naturally assume that you don't love them, and find someone else that does.

The only way that saying could have a positive meaning is if you are clinging to someone that doesn't love you and/or you are hurting, and the right thing is to let them go because they don't want to be with you, in which case, don't sit around expecting them to return. Get over it and move on.
Yes, the operative phrase is "let them go"; it's not "push them away".

Letting them go means don't try to control them.

Evo said:

I believe this old saying means what you mentioned. One should just get over it and move on and forget about "what if she/he comes back?". But like I said, if that happens, it could be years down the road and there is absolutely no guarantee that you are still alive or you still love them.

Last edited:

What is the meaning of "love is life and life is love"?

The phrase "love is life and life is love" means that love and life are interconnected and inseparable. Love is an essential part of life and life is what gives love its meaning. Without love, life would be incomplete, and without life, love would have no purpose.

Is there scientific evidence to support this statement?

While there is no specific scientific evidence that directly proves that love is life and life is love, there is plenty of research that shows the importance of love and social connections in our lives. Studies have shown that love and social support can have positive effects on our physical and mental health, and can even increase our lifespan.

Can this statement be applied to all types of love?

Yes, this statement can be applied to all types of love, including romantic love, familial love, and platonic love. Love in any form is a vital part of our lives and contributes to our overall well-being.

How does love impact our daily lives?

Love can have a significant impact on our daily lives. It can bring us joy, happiness, and fulfillment, and it can also help us cope with difficult times. Love can also motivate us to be better versions of ourselves and can give us a sense of purpose and meaning.

Is it possible to live without love?

While it is technically possible to live without love, it would not be a fulfilling or happy life. Love is a fundamental human need and without it, we may struggle to find happiness and meaning in our lives. It is important to cultivate and nurture love in our lives to live a fulfilling and happy life.