How does an adjustable device work?

In summary, the conversation is about an intern who is tasked with designing a device that can be adjusted in height and width. They have found some designs online but are unsure of how they function. They are asking for help in understanding one specific design and someone suggests using click tabs similar to those found on EZ-Up pop-up awnings. The intern is not familiar with EZ-Up and is thankful for the links provided for reference.
cadounette
hello everyone
i am doing my intern and am told to come up with a design for a device adjustable in height and width.
i have been looking on the internet and found some designs that might work but the problem is i don't know exactly how does they function.
for example this design : http://www.rdbureau.com/p-184.html

so I'm hoping that someone can explain to me about how it operates.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cadounette said:
hello everyone
i am doing my intern and am told to come up with a design for a device adjustable in height and width.
i have been looking on the internet and found some designs that might work but the problem is i don't know exactly how does they function.
for example this design : http://www.rdbureau.com/p-184.html

so I'm hoping that someone can explain to me about how it operates.

Hard to tell from the picture and the French explanation, but it could use the click tabs that you find on EZ-Up pop-up awenings. Are you familiar with them?

euh no. i don't know what it is EZ-Up.
and I'm from france.. i forgot to mention it ^^'

Last edited by a moderator:
many thanks.. it really helps :)

1. What is the purpose of designing an adjustable device?

The purpose of designing an adjustable device is to create a tool or machine that can be modified or changed to fit different needs or situations. This allows for more versatility and efficiency in its use.

2. What are some common types of adjustable devices?

Some common types of adjustable devices include adjustable wrenches, adjustable desks, adjustable chairs, and adjustable shelving units. These are just a few examples, as there are many different types of adjustable devices for various purposes.

3. How does an adjustable device work?

An adjustable device typically works by having different components or parts that can be moved or adjusted to change its shape, size, or function. This can include mechanisms such as screws, levers, or knobs that allow for adjustments to be made easily.

4. What are the benefits of using adjustable devices?

The main benefit of using adjustable devices is their adaptability. They can be tailored to fit different needs and situations, making them more versatile and cost-effective. They also allow for more efficient use of space and resources.

5. Are there any limitations to designing an adjustable device?

There can be limitations to designing an adjustable device, such as cost, complexity, and durability. Some adjustable devices may also have a limited range of adjustability, which may not meet the needs of all users. It is important to carefully consider these factors when designing an adjustable device.