How do you prove that the limit of a function does not exist?

• Thread starter zooxanthellae
  • Start date
In summary: You need to find a δ such that for every x within the interval, there is at least one value of l for which the inequality won't hold.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

Prove that lim (1/x) x --> 0 does not exist, i.e., show that lim (1/x) x --> 0 = l is false for every number l.

Homework Equations

0 < |x-a| < d
|f(x) - l| < E

The Attempt at a Solution

The strange thing is, the first time through I got the same solution as Spivak, but looking over it again the logic seems downright wrong. Here's the solution, verbatim:

The function f(x) = 1/x cannot approach a limit at 0, since it becomes arbitrarily large near 0. In fact, no matter what d > 0 may be, there is some x satisfying 0 < |x| < d, but 1/x > |l| + E, namely, any x < min(d, 1/(|l| + E)). Any such x does not satisfy |(1/x) - l| < E.

Where is he getting the bold portion from?

I write |1/x - l| < E
|1/x| - |l| < |1/x - l| < E
|1/x| - |l| < E
|1/x| < E + |l|

How is he getting greater-than?

Physics news on Phys.org
zooxanthellae said:
I write |1/x - l| < E

Assuming this is true, then you're golden. But it's not going to be true for really small x, that's the point. So we see how he's doing a proof by contradiction: If the limit exists, you can't possibly get a greater than sign, but he gets a greater than sign. The way he gets it is by saying when x < min(d, 1/(|l| + E)), you get 1/x > |l| + E

zooxanthellae said:
Where is he getting the bold portion from?
You're misreading what he wrote. He is merely asserting that there is an x such that 0<x<d and 1/x>|l|+E. Then he tells you how to find such an x.
I write |1/x - l| < E
|1/x| - |l| < |1/x - l| < E
|1/x| - |l| < E
|1/x| < E + |l|

How is he getting greater-than?
If the inequality you started with is true, then your conclusion is also true. If you go one step further and take the reciprocal of both sides, you get

[tex]|x| > \frac{1}{|l|+\epsilon}[/tex]

Spivak is saying if you choose an x such that this last inequality is false, the one you started with will also be false.

So, he's essentially saying:

|1/x| < E + |l|

and then pointing out that, if d = 1/(|l| + E), this leads to a contradiction of that inequality, and therefore the whole thing violates the definition of a limit?

Oy! It's been almost a week and I'm still having trouble with these things.

So, he's essentially saying:

|1/x| < E + |l|

He isn't saying that because it's not going to be true. But it's what you should keep in the back of your mind... IF l was the limit, you would get this inequality. But in fact we get an opposite inequality for small x. Therefore, l is not the limit. Since l was arbitrary, there is no limit

No, he's stating if 0<|x|<min{δ, 1/(|L|+ε)}, then 0<|x|<δ and |1/x|>|L|+ε. The δ appears only because the definition of the limit requires that |x|<δ. So long as |x| is small enough, you can satisfy both conditions. The point is, regardless of what δ equals, you can always find an |x| between 0 and δ such that |1/x|>|L|+ε.

When you try to come up with a delta-epsilon proof, typically you work backwards. You assume the epsilon condition holds and find some condition on x from which you can choose an appropriate δ. In this case, you can't find such a δ because the inequality turns out backwards.

zooxanthellae said:
The strange thing is, the first time through I got the same solution as Spivak, but looking over it again the logic seems downright wrong.

I have those kinds of days too :) lol

Let me try again: because there are values for delta (e.g. <1/(|L| + E)) that violate the inequality that would result if the limit were true, then the limit is not true by contradiction?

No, that's not right. Even when a limit exists, you can usually find a δ for which the ε-inequality won't hold: just use a big δ. The limit doesn't exist because there are no values of δ for which the ε-inequality holds.

vela said:
No, that's not right. Even when a limit exists, you can usually find a δ for which the ε-inequality won't hold: just use a big δ. The limit doesn't exist because there are no values of δ for which the ε-inequality holds.

Yeah, I think I figured it out a few hours ago (I was doing another problem and realized what I said here was wrong). It's because we've found a d within which no x will work (all x results in an inconsistency, no matter how small; in fact, the smaller the x the worse the inconsistency becomes)?

Almost. You don't need to find a δ such that all values of x within the interval will cause the ε inequality to fail, though in this case you can. You only need one value of x for which inequality fails.

1. What is "Yet Another Delta-Epsilon"?

Yet Another Delta-Epsilon is a mathematical concept that is used to prove the limit of a function using the delta-epsilon definition. It is often used in calculus and analysis to show that a function approaches a certain value as its input approaches a specific value.

2. How does "Yet Another Delta-Epsilon" work?

"Yet Another Delta-Epsilon" works by using the concept of limits and the definition of continuity to prove that a function approaches a certain value. It involves choosing a small value for epsilon and finding a corresponding value for delta that satisfies the condition for the limit.

3. Why is "Yet Another Delta-Epsilon" important?

"Yet Another Delta-Epsilon" is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and analysis, and it helps to prove the existence of limits and the continuity of functions. It also provides a rigorous and formal way of proving limits, which is important in mathematics and other fields that use calculus and analysis.

4. What are the challenges of using "Yet Another Delta-Epsilon"?

One of the main challenges of using "Yet Another Delta-Epsilon" is understanding the concept and being able to apply it correctly. It requires a strong understanding of limits and continuity, as well as the ability to manipulate mathematical equations. Another challenge is choosing an appropriate epsilon and delta values that satisfy the conditions for the limit.

5. How can "Yet Another Delta-Epsilon" be used in real-life applications?

"Yet Another Delta-Epsilon" can be used in various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, to prove the existence of limits and the continuity of functions. It can also be used to analyze the behavior of systems and make predictions based on the limit of a function. Additionally, it is used in the development of computer algorithms and scientific models.