Counting the number of homorphisms

• Thread starter seshikanth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the number of homomorphisms between Z/mZ and Z/nZ is equal to the Euler's Quotient for gcd(m,n).
seshikanth

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am trying to solve the following question:
count the number of homomorphism between Z/mZ and Z/nZ?
Can you tell me is my solution correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f be a homorphism.
f(mZ + a) = nZ + b ; a,b belong to G
Now, o(nZ+b) | n (from lagrangian theorem)
o(f(mZ+a)) = o(nZ+b); and o(f(mZ+a)) | o(mZ+a) which implies o(nZ+b) | m
Number of possiblities for o(nZ+b) = Number of common factors for m and n = Eulers Quotient for gcd(m,n)

Can you tell me if the approach correct? Because when i check the answers of the exercise question it is gcd(m,n) but here i am getting Euler's Qutient for gcd(m.n) = [tex]\varphi(gcd(m,n))[/tex]

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your approach is correct. The number of homomorphisms between Z/mZ and Z/nZ is equal to the Euler's Quotient for gcd(m,n). This is because the homomorphism must map mZ to some subgroup of nZ, and the order of such a subgroup must divide both m and n. Thus, by the Lagrange's theorem, it must divide the greatest common divisor of m and n, which is gcd(m,n). Therefore, the number of homomorphisms is equal to the number of subgroups of nZ that have order gcd(m,n). This number is given by the Euler's Quotient for gcd(m,n), or \varphi(gcd(m,n)).

1. What is the significance of counting the number of homorphisms?

Counting the number of homorphisms is important in understanding the structure and relationships between mathematical objects. It can provide insights into symmetries, mappings, and other properties of these objects.

2. How is the number of homorphisms calculated?

The number of homorphisms can be calculated by first determining the number of elements in the domain and codomain of the homomorphism. Then, for each element in the domain, the number of possible images in the codomain is counted. The total number of possible mappings is then calculated by multiplying these values together.

3. Can the number of homorphisms be infinite?

Yes, the number of homorphisms can be infinite, depending on the size of the domain and codomain. For example, if the domain and codomain are both infinite sets, there can be an infinite number of homorphisms between them.

4. What is the difference between an isomorphism and a homomorphism?

An isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism, meaning that it is both one-to-one and onto. This means that an isomorphism preserves both the structure and the cardinality of the objects involved, while a homomorphism only preserves the structure.

5. Can the number of homorphisms change for the same objects?

Yes, the number of homorphisms can change if the objects involved have different structures or properties. For example, the number of homorphisms between two groups can be different from the number of homorphisms between two rings, even if the sets involved are the same.