Assault Intervention Device

• News
  • Thread starter SixNein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the device is potentially dangerous, has been used improperly in the past, and has no real use in jails.
SixNein
Gold Member
I would not agree with this device being used over seas much less in our own jail systems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_jail_ray_gun

Why don't we just launch an inquisitor program?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is it different, ethically, from pepper spray? And what does it have to do with an "inquisitor program"?

russ_watters said:
How is it different, ethically, from pepper spray? And what does it have to do with an "inquisitor program"?

I don't think it has anything to do with an inquisitor program, but I wanted to over-exaggerate to get the comments rolling =p

Should a device with these capabilities be deployed in jails? I would argue maybe to prisons, but I'm not sure it belongs in jails.

According to a blog at wired, a test person was seriously injured by the device:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/08/aclu-blasts-jailhouse-pain-ray-condemns-star-wars-tech/

But they may have fixed it?

If the device is deployed, eventually, it will end up being used to scatter protesters

First, that's not obvious at all. But let's assume so.

As opposed to dropping tear gas and beating people into submission? Explain why this is worse because there is a small risk of being burned. And the test subject who was burned was burned because of the device being turned to a too powerful level (beyond what it was supposed to be set to for the scenario in question)

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/files/danger_room.PDF

SixNein said:
Should a device with these capabilities be deployed in jails? I would argue maybe to prisons, but I'm not sure it belongs in jails.

According to a blog at wired, a test person was seriously injured by the device:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/08/aclu-blasts-jailhouse-pain-ray-condemns-star-wars-tech/

But they may have fixed it?
Fixed what? Was it broken? Yes, I think it should be used in jails. But I won't explain until you do: this is your thread and it is your responsibility to get the discussion going by explaining your point.

Office_Shredder said:
First, that's not obvious at all. But let's assume so.

As opposed to dropping tear gas and beating people into submission? Explain why this is worse because there is a small risk of being burned. And the test subject who was burned was burned because of the device being turned to a too powerful level (beyond what it was supposed to be set to for the scenario in question)

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/files/danger_room.PDF

They must have released some details on the issue. I'm still reading up on it.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Fixed what? Was it broken? Yes, I think it should be used in jails. But I won't explain until you do: this is your thread and it is your responsibility to get the discussion going by explaining your point.

I couldn't find any details on the accident outline in the story, but the poster before you had found one. Apparently, someone set the device too high and caused the test subject to have 2nd degree burns. Apparently, the device had been used by untrained people and without all of the proper equipment.

So the story is much to do about nothing.

Last edited:
SixNein said:
I don't think it has anything to do with an inquisitor program, but I wanted to over-exaggerate to get the comments rolling =p
You know that's called "trolling", right?

Hurkyl said:
You know that's called "trolling", right?

When the story first came out, the story was exaggerated with comments like "noting that early military versions resulted in five airmen suffering lasting burns."

Oh well, if you have moderate powers... go ahead and lock or delete the thread.

What is an Assault Intervention Device?

An Assault Intervention Device (AID) is a non-lethal weapon designed to incapacitate an attacker without causing permanent harm or injury. It is typically used by law enforcement or military personnel to subdue individuals who pose a threat.

How does an Assault Intervention Device work?

An AID works by using various methods such as electric shock, chemical irritants, or impact force to temporarily disrupt an attacker's ability to continue their aggressive behavior. The specific mechanism of action may vary depending on the type of AID being used.

Are Assault Intervention Devices safe?

When used properly and in accordance with training and guidelines, AIDs are generally considered safe. However, as with any weapon, there is always a risk of injury or misuse. It is crucial for users to be properly trained and for the device to be used in appropriate situations.

What are the benefits of using an Assault Intervention Device?

The primary benefit of using an AID is that it provides a less lethal option for law enforcement and military personnel to use in potentially dangerous situations. It can also help to de-escalate a situation and subdue an attacker without causing serious harm.

What are the potential drawbacks of using an Assault Intervention Device?

Some potential drawbacks of using an AID include the risk of injury if used improperly, the possibility of the device malfunctioning, and the potential for individuals to become desensitized to the use of force. It is crucial for users to be well-trained and for the device to be used with caution and only when necessary.