Where Can I Find Information on Under Funded Pensions at Various Levels?

• Thread starter PhilKravitz
  • Start date
In summary, information on underfunded pensions at various levels can be found through government agencies, such as the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, which provides reports on pension funding levels for specific plans, as well as through independent research organizations and financial news sources. Additionally, individuals can contact their state's pension office or consult with a financial advisor for further information and guidance on underfunded pensions.
PhilKravitz
Does anybody know of sources of information on the amount of under funded pensions? At all levels i.e.

1) companies
2) towns
3) public schools
4) counties
5) states
6) federal (civilian and military)

It would be great to have hard numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fairly extensive list - lot's of potential variables.

1. What is an underfunded pension?

An underfunded pension refers to a retirement plan where the amount of money set aside for future payouts is not enough to cover the promised benefits. This can happen due to a variety of reasons, such as poor investment returns, increasing life expectancy of retirees, or inadequate contributions from the employer.

2. How do I know if my pension is underfunded?

To determine if your pension is underfunded, you can look at the pension plan's funding ratio, which is the ratio of assets to liabilities. A funding ratio below 80% is generally considered to be underfunded. You can also check with your employer or pension provider for more information.

3. Where can I find information on underfunded pensions at the state level?

The Government Accountability Office (GAO) provides a comprehensive report on the funding status of state and local government pensions. You can also check with your state's pension agency for specific information on underfunded pensions in your state.

4. Are there any resources for finding information on underfunded pensions at the federal level?

The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) is a federal agency that protects the retirement benefits of over 37 million workers in private sector pension plans. They provide information on underfunded pensions and offer resources for retirees and plan participants.

5. Is there any way to address underfunded pensions?

There are a few ways to address underfunded pensions, such as increasing contributions from the employer or employees, reducing benefits, or investing in higher-yielding assets. Ultimately, it is up to the employer or pension plan to take necessary steps to improve the funding status of the pension plan.