Impact between human heel and orthotic wedge

In summary, the conversation discusses using foot orthoses in podiatry to alter reaction forces at the foot's interface. A 2D cross-section model of the orthotic is described and its behavior under loading conditions is compared to Hookes Law. The location and distribution of reaction forces at the foot-wedge interface is also discussed, with two different methods being proposed. The first method suggests that the centre of pressure will not be located at x = 0mm, while the second method is currently considered incorrect.
Simon Spooner
Please be gentle, I'm not a physicist, I'm a podiatrist trying to find the answer to a problem that has been confusing me! I hope you can help.

In podiatry we often use foot orthoses in an attempt to alter the magnitude, location and timing of reaction forces at the foot's interface. A simple 2D cross-section model of the heel section of an orthotic could be a wedge of homogenous material. If we assumed that under loading conditions the wedge of material functions in a linear fashion in accordance with Hookes Law, then effectively we could model the wedge as a number of springs increasing in resting length from the thin end of the wedge to the thick end. As the resting length of each of these "spring" columns of material increases so the spring constant (K) should decrease.

If the heel of the foot is modeled as an homogenous mass and impacts vertically downward onto the wedge then the foot should come into contact with the highest side of the wedge first. Assuming that the foot does not rotate but continues to load onto the wedge until static equilibrium is achieved, there should be a longer period of compression between the foot and the wedge at this point of initial contact than lower areas of the wedge-foot interface, which came into contact later as the foot and wedge deformed under loading. Yet, there should also be greater vertical linear displacement per unit load at the thick end of the wedge than at the thin end- right?

So, while the thick end of the wedge may have deformed more than the thin end by the time static equilibrium exists (velocity = zero) between the foot and the wedge, but the thin end of the wedge will push back with a higher reaction force per unit deformation. So would the centre of pressure always be under the point of initial contact at the time of static equilibrium between the foot and the wedge?

I hope that makes sense. My maths isn't so hot, so explanations without too much algebra would be really helpful. Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Spooner: No, if the x-axis is horizontal, and the wedge thick end is located at x = 0 mm, and if the end of the contact area is at x = xn, then the centre of pressure would be located at somewhere within the range 0.30*xn ≤ x < 0.50*xn. I.e., the centre of pressure will not be located at x = 0 mm.

nvn said:
Simon Spooner: No, if the x-axis is horizontal, and the wedge thick end is located at x = 0 mm, and if the end of the contact area is at x = xn, then the centre of pressure would be located at somewhere within the range 0.30*xn ≤ x < 0.50*xn. I.e., the centre of pressure will not be located at x = 0 mm.

Thank you. How did you define those numbers?
I'm not sure the x-axis is horizontal since it is the reaction forces at the foot-wedge interface which we are really interested in. Is there are relationship between the angulation of the wedge and the Young's moduli of the wedge and foot and the resultant force distribution at the interface?

A friend tried to help me with this and he modeled the situation with angular displacement and suggested that in this situation the rate of change of velocity across the wedge would be the same at any point, therefore the reaction forces would be the same across the entire wedge-foot interface. Is this accurate?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Simon Spooner: It doesn't matter if the x-axis is horizontal or vertical. You can define the coordinate system either way. Therefore, in post 2, I defined the x-axis as horizontal, and the y-axis as vertical.

Post 1 defines the foot (heel) as having no rotation, which is realistic. I would currently recommend the method of post 1. The method suggested by your friend in post 3 currently sounds incorrect. In the method of post 1, the foot will simply translate downward until it reaches equilibrium.

I understand your confusion and the complex nature of this problem. It is important to consider the properties of the materials involved and how they interact under loading conditions.

Firstly, the human heel is not a homogenous mass, but rather a complex structure made up of bones, muscles, ligaments, and other tissues. Therefore, the impact between the heel and an orthotic wedge is not a simple vertical force, but a result of multiple forces and interactions.

Secondly, the orthotic wedge is also not a simple spring, but a complex structure made up of different materials and varying levels of stiffness. This means that the reaction force and displacement will not be linearly related, as assumed in Hookes Law.

Furthermore, the impact between the heel and the orthotic wedge is not a static equilibrium, but a dynamic process. This means that the forces and deformations are constantly changing as the foot adapts to the wedge and the wedge deforms under loading.

The center of pressure, which is the point where the total force acts on the foot, will also not be under the point of initial contact at the time of static equilibrium. It will constantly shift as the foot adapts to the wedge and the forces and deformations change.

In conclusion, the impact between the human heel and an orthotic wedge is a complex and dynamic process that cannot be accurately modeled with simple 2D cross-section models and linear assumptions. It requires a deeper understanding of the materials involved and their interactions under loading conditions. As a podiatrist, it is important to consider these factors in order to effectively design and utilize foot orthoses for your patients.

1. What is the purpose of an orthotic wedge?

An orthotic wedge is a device that is inserted into a shoe to correct biomechanical imbalances in the foot and ankle. It helps to support the arch of the foot and improve the alignment of the lower leg, which can alleviate pain and discomfort in the foot, ankle, and even the lower back.

2. How does an orthotic wedge impact the heel?

An orthotic wedge can provide support and cushioning to the heel, reducing the impact of each step. It can also help to distribute the weight and pressure evenly across the foot, reducing strain on the heel and potentially preventing injuries such as plantar fasciitis.

3. Can an orthotic wedge improve athletic performance?

Yes, an orthotic wedge can improve athletic performance by providing better support and alignment for the foot and ankle. This can help to enhance balance, stability, and power during physical activities such as running and jumping.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with using an orthotic wedge?

In general, there are no major risks or side effects associated with using an orthotic wedge. However, it is important to choose an appropriate size and type of wedge for your specific foot needs to avoid discomfort or potential exacerbation of existing foot conditions.

5. How long should an orthotic wedge last?

The lifespan of an orthotic wedge depends on various factors, such as the materials used, the frequency and intensity of use, and the individual's weight and foot condition. In general, a well-made orthotic wedge can last for several months to a year before needing to be replaced.