How does the ocean affect daily temperatures?

• Thread starter J-Girl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ocean
In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of on-shore and off-shore breezes on coastal temperatures, with examples of how the ocean temperature can influence the air temperature on the beach. The question of whether thermal equilibrium can be reached without measurable changes in materials is also raised. The conversation highlights the importance of considering various factors such as thermal physics, meteorology, and oceanography when studying coastal temperatures.
J-Girl
Just a random practise question I've been given. Is it because the closer you are to the coast, the cooler it is, because you are closer to a large amount of cooler substance? (only theory I've come up with:P) please reply! thankyou :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied this? The effect of on-shore and off-shore breezes on coastal temperatures can be critical to your weather. In coastal Maine, it is the main driver of short-term crap.

Sunny days in the spring or early summer causes air to rise so that air comes in from the cold Gulf of Maine and causes very low temps. This can trigger pretty quick-forming fog-banks, too.

In some regions in the winter near the coast, you are closer to a large amount of a warmer substance. Does that change your response?

not really, this sounds more like a geology question lol, we're studying basic thermal physics, i thought this question was more about thermal equilibrium

J-Girl said:
not really, this sounds more like a geology question lol, we're studying basic thermal physics, i thought this question was more about thermal equilibrium
Can thermal equilibrium be reached without sensible, measurable changes in the materials in question?

i wouldn't have a clue:( does the answer have something to do with thermal equilibrium, or is it just about wind currents
?

I've been on the coast in summer where the ocean temp (in degrees F) was in the 60's, the air temp on the beach was in the 70's with a sea breeze, and the air temp a lone mile away from the ocean was in the 90's.

I've been on the coast in the winter with a wind off the ocean where ocean temp was in the 40's, beach temp was in the 40's, and a mile away temps were in the 30's.

What does that tell 'ya, if anything?

that inland is more extreme weather I am guessing lol. i just need to justify why that is

You must come to your own conclusion as to how the ocean affects daily temperatures. The question is vague in that it does not refer to coastal regions, but i assume this is the intent of the question. The ocean has little effect on temperatures on land far from the coastal regions (excluding the effects of El Nino and La Nina oceanic-atmospheric interaction causing above or below normal temperatures in certain parts of the world, which is more of a a meteorological discussion).

I'll give you another real world example of Life on the Beach:cool: .

11 AM, August,
ocean temperature 68,
wind blowing from land toward the water,
air temperture on the beach 85

2 PM, same day,
same ocean temp,
wind blowing from the water toward land,
air temp on the beach 75

4 PM same day
same ocean temp
wind blowing from land toward water
Air temp on the beach 90

Your conclusion, please.

It's a practice question, so you can get practice answers for it :wink:

But to sort of add to what some of the other posters have said:

From a thermal physics standpoint, you might argue the local temperature has less variability because the nearby ocean has such a large heat capacity.

Add some some meteorology, and you might argue that temperature tends to be cooler than inland because the sea breeze usually blows from the cooler side toward the hotter side (no matter which side is the otter side). Also, less extreme temps. due to the increased humidity and formation of a marine layer which isolates the coastal area.

Add some oceanography and you may conclude that coastal temperatures tend to be strongly affected by sea surface temperature, which is itself affected by currents, winds, upwelling, etc.

1. How does the ocean affect daily temperatures?

The ocean plays a significant role in regulating daily temperatures through a process called ocean-atmosphere interaction. This occurs when the ocean and atmosphere exchange heat, moisture, and other properties, which can impact the temperature of the surrounding air.

2. Does the ocean have a greater influence on daily temperatures than land?

Yes, the ocean has a greater influence on daily temperatures compared to land. This is because water has a higher specific heat capacity, meaning it can absorb and store more heat energy compared to land. As a result, the ocean can help to moderate the temperature of nearby land areas.

3. How do ocean currents affect daily temperatures?

Ocean currents are like giant conveyor belts, transporting warm and cold water around the globe. When warm ocean currents flow towards land, they can bring warmer air with them, increasing daily temperatures. Conversely, when cold ocean currents flow towards land, they can bring cooler air, leading to lower daily temperatures.

4. Can the ocean affect daily temperatures in locations far from the coast?

Yes, the ocean can affect daily temperatures in locations far from the coast through a process called teleconnection. This occurs when changes in ocean temperatures and currents can influence atmospheric patterns, which can impact temperatures in distant locations.

5. Are daily temperature fluctuations in coastal areas affected by the tides?

Yes, tides can contribute to daily temperature fluctuations in coastal areas. When high tides occur, the water from the ocean can cover up the land, resulting in cooler temperatures. Conversely, during low tides, the land is exposed, and warmer temperatures may result due to the sun's heat being absorbed by the land's surface.