Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture Proof?

In summary, there is a discussion about two papers recently posted on arXiv by an unknown author who claims to have invented his own number system. The author is affiliated with the Institute of Chemical Processing Machinery at Zhejiang University in China. Some believe that the papers may not have gone through peer review yet and caution is advised when reading them. The papers are focused on mathematics, not physics, biology, or chemistry. It is suggested to read the papers and discuss any concerns in the forums to get feedback from others familiar with the topic.
Oriako
Hey guys,
I saw these just showed up on arXiv, published by some unknown who claims to have invented his own number system and is not affiliated with any academic institutions.

What do you make of this?
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.3465
http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2952

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Eh...keep in mind that anyone can post on arXiv. I'll wait until he survives peer review.

Actually, I don't think just anyone can post on arxiv. I believe you need an endorser or some such thing before you can post anything, or you need to be part of an institution whose members get automatically endorsed. As for the author in question, it appears he is actually affiliated with the Institute of Chemical Processing Machinery, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, according to the very end of the papers. I also didn't see anything about inventing his own number system, but then I only barely the skimmed over the papers.

Mute said:
Actually, I don't think just anyone can post on arxiv. I believe you need an endorser or some such thing before you can post anything, or you need to be part of an institution whose members get automatically endorsed. As for the author in question, it appears he is actually affiliated with the Institute of Chemical Processing Machinery, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, according to the very end of the papers. I also didn't see anything about inventing his own number system, but then I only barely the skimmed over the papers.

He published a paper in 2007 on that, and then went dead silent for 4 years and now published these.

Mute said:

It's not peer reviewed. A lot of those articles are only there because they're waiting for acceptance from a journal. It doesn't mean arXiv isn't a wonderful resource, it just means you need to be more careful than usual when reading a paper.

The paper is a mathematics paper, not a physics/biology/chemistry paper.

If you really want to put in the effort, just read it and if you think something is up post the issue in the forums and you're bound to get someone familiar with that issue in some regard comment on it.

1. What is the Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a mathematical conjecture that states all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line with a real part of 1/2. This hypothesis has implications for understanding the distribution of prime numbers. The Goldbach Conjecture is an unproven hypothesis that states every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers.

2. Why are the Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture important?

The Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture have been two of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics for centuries. Proving these conjectures would not only provide a deeper understanding of the distribution of prime numbers, but also have significant implications for other areas of mathematics such as number theory, algebra, and analysis.

3. What are some attempts at proving the Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture?

Many mathematicians have attempted to prove the Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture, but so far, no one has been able to provide a definitive proof. Some notable attempts include the work of Bernhard Riemann, who originally proposed the Riemann Hypothesis in 1859, and Christian Goldbach, who posed the Goldbach Conjecture in 1742. Other mathematicians, such as Hardy and Littlewood, have also made significant contributions to these problems.

4. What are the potential consequences of proving or disproving these conjectures?

If the Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture are proven, it would have a profound impact on our understanding of prime numbers and their distribution. It could also lead to the development of new mathematical techniques and theories. On the other hand, if these conjectures are disproven, it could also open up new avenues of research and help us better understand the limitations of current mathematical theories.

5. Is there any progress being made towards proving the Riemann Hypothesis and Goldbach Conjecture?

Yes, there is ongoing research and progress being made towards proving or disproving these conjectures. Many mathematicians continue to work on these problems, using advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations. While no definitive proof has been found yet, the continued effort and research towards these conjectures have led to new insights and discoveries in mathematics.