What is the pressure at 80 m below the surface of the ocean.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of pressure and tension in a scenario where a sailor is lowering an iron ball into the ocean. The equations and attempts at solving the problems are provided, with a clarification on the correct density of the seawater being used.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

a) A sailor uses a rope to lower an iron ball of radius 30 cm a to a depth of 80 m below the surface of the ocean. What is the pressure (in atm) at that depth? b) Find the tension in the rope in the previous problem. The density of iron is 7.86 *103 Kg/m3.

Homework Equations

For part a) p=P0+ρGd

1 atm= 1.013*105 Pa

ρsea water= 1.03*103 kg/m3

For part b) Ʃy= F buoyant-mg-T=0

F buoyant=ρVg

ρ= m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

In part a) p=(1.013*105 Pa)+(1.03*103 kg/m3)(9.8 m/s2)(80m)= 9.08*105 Pa

9.08*105 Pa / 1.013*105 Pa = 8.97 atm

However, the answer is 8.74 atm what did I do wrong?? :confused::cry::frown:

In part b) I solved for T=F buoyant-mg

F buoyant= (7.86 *103 )(4π(0.3m)3/3)(9.8m/s2)= 8.70*103 N*m

For mg I used m=ρV = (7.86 *103 )(4π(0.3m)3/3)= 8.70*103 N*m

So T= 8.70*103 N*m - 8.70*103 N*m =0 ? The answer for part (b) is 7600 N :confused::cry::uhh: Help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You used 1030 kg/m3 for the density of the seawater. Could they have wanted you to use the density of water with no salt (1000 kg/m3)? The density of seawater varies quite a bit, depending on how much salt is in that part of the ocean. If they didn't specify the density of the water other than saying that it's "the ocean," I would guess they want you to use the standard density for water.

You were right! THANKS MAN! I could solve both of them! thanks again!

What is the pressure at 80 m below the surface of the ocean?

The pressure at 80 m below the surface of the ocean is approximately 8 atmospheres, or 117 pounds per square inch (psi). This is due to the weight of the water above pushing down on the area at that depth.

How does pressure change with depth in the ocean?

The pressure in the ocean increases with depth. For every 10 meters of depth, the pressure increases by approximately 1 atmosphere. This is because the weight of the water above increases as you go deeper into the ocean.

What is the unit of measurement for pressure in the ocean?

The unit of measurement for pressure in the ocean is usually expressed in atmospheres (atm) or pounds per square inch (psi). In scientific measurements, pressure can also be expressed in pascals (Pa) or kilopascals (kPa).

Is pressure the same at all points at a certain depth in the ocean?

No, pressure can vary at different points at the same depth in the ocean. This is because pressure is affected by factors such as temperature, salinity, and currents, which can vary in different locations.

What are the effects of high pressure on organisms in the ocean?

High pressure can have various effects on organisms in the ocean. Some organisms have adaptations to withstand high pressure, while others may have difficulty functioning or may even die at certain depths. High pressure can also affect the behavior and physiology of organisms in the ocean.