Solving the Tidal Force Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the tidal force on a mass at a specific position using the binomial approximation. The main difficulty arises from the complicated binomial expansion required to solve for the denominator in the equation. However, for the situation where the distances are colinear, the solution can be simplified. Overall, the problem requires a lot of work and effort.
matpo39
I am having a little trouble with this problem it is as follows:

consider the tidal force #(F_tid=-G*M*m[(d_unit vector/d^2)-(d_0 unit vector/d_0^2)]) on a mass m at the position P. write d as (d_0-R(radius of earth))=d_0*(1-R/d_0) and use binomial approximation to show that F_tid= -(2*G*M*m*R/d_0^3)x_unit vector.

sorry i can't get the picture up but all it is is the Earth with center at (0,0) and point P is located all the way to the left edge of the Earth on the x-axis and and 0 on the y axis. the moon is to the left of the Earth and is also on the x axis. which is why it is easy to see that the force will be in the -x direction.

first i used the binomial expansion and got d_0(1+2*R/d_0) and i replaced d in equation # with that value anf got this

-G*M*m[d_unit vector/(d_0(1+2R/d_0))^2 - d_0_unit vector/(d_0^2)]
I have been fiddleing with it all day and can't get it to match the force they said it should, I am pretty sure that my problem is coming from not really knowing how to handle the d,d_0 unit vectors.

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
matpo39 said:
I am having a little trouble with this problem it is as follows:

consider the tidal force #(F_tid=-G*M*m[(d_unit vector/d^2)-(d_0 unit vector/d_0^2)]) on a mass m at the position P. write d as (d_0-R(radius of earth))=d_0*(1-R/d_0) and use binomial approximation to show that F_tid= -(2*G*M*m*R/d_0^3)x_unit vector.
I gather that the question is asking you to determine:

[tex]F_{tide}=-GMm(\frac{\hat d}{d^2} - \frac{\hat d_0}{d_0^2})[/tex]

which can be rewritten:

[tex]F_{tide}=-GMm(\hat d\frac{d}{d^3} - \hat d_0\frac{|\vec d - \vec R|}{|\vec d - \vec R|^3})[/tex]

I can see why you are having problems. That denominator [itex]|\vec d-\vec R|^3[/itex] is messy and requires a complicated binomial expansion to solve. I had to look up the derivation in a mechanics text - Barger and Olsson, Classical Mechanics (First ed.) at pages 268-270 - it is not trivial to find the general solution. For the situation where d and d0 are colinear, it reduces to:

[tex]F_{tide}=-GMm\hat d(\frac{d}{d^3} - \frac{d - R}{(d - R)^3})[/tex]

But its still a lot of work.But you can see that the numerator is the order of R and the denominator in the order of d^3.

AM

Last edited:

Hi there,

I understand that you are having some difficulty solving the tidal force problem. I will try my best to explain the solution in a step-by-step manner.

Firstly, let's rewrite the expression for d as d = d_0(1-R/d_0). This is just a rearrangement of the given expression.

Next, let's expand the binomial term (1-R/d_0)^2 using the binomial expansion formula. This gives us 1 - 2R/d_0 + (R/d_0)^2.

Now, let's plug this expanded expression into our original expression for tidal force:

F_tid = -G*M*m[(d_unit vector/d^2) - (d_0 unit vector/d_0^2)]
= -G*M*m[(d_unit vector/(d_0(1-R/d_0))^2) - (d_0_unit vector/(d_0^2))]
= -G*M*m[d_unit vector/(d_0^2(1 - 2R/d_0 + (R/d_0)^2)) - (d_0_unit vector/(d_0^2))]
= -G*M*m[d_unit vector/(d_0^2 - 2Rd_0 + R^2) - (d_0_unit vector/(d_0^2))]
= -G*M*m[d_unit vector/(d_0^2) - 2Rd_0_unit vector/(d_0^2) + R^2_unit vector/(d_0^2) - d_0_unit vector/(d_0^2)]
= -G*M*m[(d_unit vector - 2Rd_0_unit vector + R^2_unit vector - d_0_unit vector)/(d_0^2)]

Now, we can simplify the expression in the brackets by grouping similar unit vectors together:

(d_unit vector - 2Rd_0_unit vector + R^2_unit vector - d_0_unit vector) = (d_unit vector - d_0_unit vector) - 2R(d_0_unit vector) + R^2_unit vector
= (d_unit vector - d_0_unit vector) - (2Rd_0_unit vector - R^2_unit vector)
= (d_unit vector - d_0_unit vector) - R(2d_0_unit vector - R_unit vector)

Note that

1. What is the Tidal Force Problem?

The Tidal Force Problem is a phenomenon that occurs when the gravitational pull of one celestial body, such as the moon, causes a bulge in another celestial body, such as the Earth, resulting in the tides we see in our oceans.

2. Why is it important to solve the Tidal Force Problem?

Solving the Tidal Force Problem is important because it helps us better understand the forces at work in our universe and can also have practical applications in fields such as oceanography and navigation.

3. How do scientists currently approach solving the Tidal Force Problem?

Scientists use complex mathematical equations and models to study and predict the effects of the Tidal Force Problem. They also gather data from satellites and other instruments to make more accurate calculations.

4. What are some challenges in solving the Tidal Force Problem?

One challenge is that the Tidal Force Problem is affected by multiple factors such as the distance between celestial bodies, their sizes, and their orbits. Another challenge is that the problem is constantly changing due to the ever-evolving positions of celestial bodies.

5. What are some potential solutions to the Tidal Force Problem?

Potential solutions could include developing more advanced mathematical models and using advanced technology to gather more precise data. Additionally, further research and experimentation may lead to a better understanding of the Tidal Force Problem and potential solutions.