Identication of Contaminants In Water

• Thread starter Grove1996
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the purpose of the conversation was to determine the contaminants and their concentrations in a pre-contaminated and post-contaminated sample of water. The speaker has identified ammonium as one of the contaminants, but is still trying to determine the other contaminant. They have ruled out calcium, chloride, and nitrate, and are now considering phosphate or sulfate. The speaker is limited in their testing equipment and is looking for a procedure to determine the amount of sulfate ions present. One suggestion was the precipitation of barium sulfate, which can also be used for quantitative analysis.
Grove1996
The purpose:
Basically I've been given a pre-contaminated sample of water, as well as a post-contaminated sample of water. I have to determine what the water is contaminated with, and the concentration of the contaminants present in the water.

My Problem:
I have determined one contaminant that is present in the water, and this is ammonium with a reading of approximately 430 mg/L. However, it's not just ammonium by itself, there are other contaminants present. I've tested for a few things (calcium/chloride/nitrate) and all is fine. I'm limiting it down to phosphate or sulfate. The pH of the water is 8, and I know that ammonium in water creates a more basic solution. So whatever the other contaminant is, I'm assuming there is not much of it. Since I'm in high school the testing equipment I can use is very limited. I can test for phosphate but I am yet to find a procedure I can use to test for sulfate ions.

Does anyone know a procedure I could use to determine the amount of sulfate ions present in a given sample of water. I've searched long and hard and unable to find anything I can do with the equipment I have at school.

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
The most obvious approach is the precipitation of barium sulfate.

Borek said:
The most obvious approach is the precipitation of barium sulfate.

I've research this a little bit. From my understanding it only can determine whether there is sulfate present in the water sample, but not the concentration.

No, it can be used for quantitative analysis as well, this is one of the most basic gravimetric methods.

I understand the importance of identifying and quantifying contaminants in water. Based on the information provided, it seems that the water sample in question is contaminated with ammonium, and there may also be other contaminants present, possibly phosphate or sulfate.

To accurately determine the concentration of sulfate ions in the water sample, I would recommend using a spectrophotometric method. This method involves using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample, to detect the presence and concentration of sulfate ions. A colorimetric test could also be used, which involves adding a reagent that produces a color change in the presence of sulfate ions.

However, since you mentioned that your testing equipment is limited, another option could be to use an ion-selective electrode (ISE) to measure sulfate ions. This method involves using an electrode specifically designed to detect and measure the concentration of a specific ion in a solution.

It is important to note that the accuracy and reliability of these methods may vary depending on the quality and calibration of the equipment used. Therefore, it would be beneficial to consult with a science teacher or a professional laboratory to ensure the accuracy of your results.

Overall, identifying and quantifying contaminants in water is crucial for ensuring the safety and quality of our water supply. I hope this information helps you in your research and analysis.

1. What are common contaminants found in water?

Common contaminants found in water include bacteria, viruses, chemical pollutants, heavy metals, and pesticides.

2. How are contaminants identified in water?

Contaminants in water can be identified through various methods such as water testing, visual inspection, and laboratory analysis.

3. What are the potential health effects of consuming contaminated water?

The potential health effects of consuming contaminated water can range from mild gastrointestinal issues to more serious illnesses such as cancer or neurological disorders.

4. How can water contamination be prevented?

Water contamination can be prevented by properly treating and disinfecting water sources, implementing regulations and standards for industrial and agricultural practices, and educating the public on safe water usage and storage.

5. What should I do if I suspect my water is contaminated?

If you suspect your water is contaminated, stop using it for drinking or cooking and contact your local water utility or health department for further instructions on testing and potential remediation measures.