Download a *Windows 95 emulator* for XP ?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, you can download a Windows 95 emulator for use on XP, but it may not work depending on the operation. You could set up a dual boot system and boot to Win95 to run the program.
bomba923
Where can I download a *Windows 95 emulator* for XP ?
I use Windows XP Pro, and it has program compatibility options.
However, these don't work for my case (it just won't work!).

Where can I download a *Windows 95 emulator* for use on XP?

Computer science news on Phys.org
WinXP has compatibility tools. You can run a program like it was windows 95. Just right click the exe and goto the tab.

I know I know---but the compatibility tools don't work for this program I'm trying to install! I set everything to windows 95 compatibility mode, but the program refuses to install! It somehow "knows" I'm really using Windows XP OS...:eek:

So where can I download a *Windows 95 emulator* for use on XP ??

If it is the install program itself that is complaining, then you might be able to edit the install files.
If it is XP complaining about some illegal operation the program wants to perform then you may or may not be out of luck depending on the exact operation.

You could set up a dual boot system and boot to Win95 to run your program.

erm, just do this...

Make sure you have all Win95 DLL's and anything else you think your exe installer might use (most of them go in your system32 folder or in the folder of your installer). Dll hell causes a lot of problems.

NoTime said:
If it is the install program itself that is complaining, then you might be able to edit the install files.
If it is XP complaining about some illegal operation the program wants to perform then you may or may not be out of luck depending on the exact operation.

You could set up a dual boot system and boot to Win95 to run your program.

Good idea---but how do I edit the install files? There are only DLL's and JPG images and icons, and the setup application
How to edit?

erm, just do this...

eNathan said:
Make sure you have all Win95 DLL's and anything else you think your exe installer might use (most of them go in your system32 folder or in the folder of your installer). Dll hell causes a lot of problems.

Can I place them in there without affecting my XP system?

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
Good idea---but how do I edit the install files? There are only DLL's and JPG images and icons, and the setup application
How to edit?

erm, just do this...
Some Setup programs have a plain text control file.
An exec only setup is more difficult. Also more fun :biggrin:

Can I place them in there without affecting my XP system?
Sure. As long as there are no existing files of that name.
Or you could keep them in the application directory and update the path parameter to include that directory.

One big problem is if the program requires registry entries.
You need to find out what they are.

Put it somewhere, click on it, see what happens.

1. Can I download a Windows 95 emulator for XP for free?

Yes, there are several free options available for downloading a Windows 95 emulator for XP. Some popular choices include VirtualBox, DOSBox, and Bochs.

2. Is it legal to download a Windows 95 emulator for XP?

Yes, it is legal to download a Windows 95 emulator for XP as long as you own a valid license for Windows 95. It is important to note that downloading and using copyrighted software without a license is illegal.

3. How much storage space does a Windows 95 emulator for XP require?

The storage space required for a Windows 95 emulator for XP can vary depending on the specific emulator and its settings. However, on average, you can expect to allocate at least 1 GB of storage space for the emulator and the Windows 95 operating system.

4. Can I run all Windows 95 programs on a Windows 95 emulator for XP?

No, not all Windows 95 programs will be compatible with a Windows 95 emulator for XP. Some programs may require specific hardware or software configurations that may not be supported by the emulator. It is recommended to check the compatibility of the program before attempting to run it on the emulator.

5. Can I use a Windows 95 emulator for XP on a Mac or Linux computer?

Yes, there are versions of Windows 95 emulators that are compatible with Mac and Linux operating systems. However, you may need to download additional software or make some adjustments to your computer's settings to run the emulator successfully.