Controling the wavelength of an LED through voltage?

In summary: In summary, according to this datasheet, LEDs will emit a certain wavelength at different voltages, depending on the die temperature. This information may be of use to someone, but it is not actually useful. Temperature and current affect wavelength differently, so it is safer to use one of those control parameters instead of trying to change the voltage of an LED.
hsherwood68
I was reading some spec sheets for some leds, and it says that, for example, at 1.4V the light is at 650nm and that at 1.7V the light is at 670nm.

This is a feature that could be potentially quite useful to me, so I was wondering: is this a common feature of leds? Is it dangerous to change their voltages to get a range of wavelengths?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't really change the voltage of an LED. An LED will drop a relative constant voltage (although not perfectly constant) regardless of the current through it. Of course there is a usable range before damage occurs.
-
I guess I had never looked at this part of the LED datasheet. It could mean that variations between LEDs due to manufacturing tolerances and etc. cause LEDs that drop 1.4 volts emit a certain wavelength and LEDs that drop 1.7 volts emit a slightly different wavelength. It may not mean that increasing or decreasing the current to get a slight change in voltage will change the wavelength. This is something new to me and although admittedly not particularly useful to me at this point in time I will watch this thread for any other input.

Colour is a fixed function of the chemistry. Planks constant comes into it. E = h * u .
The voltage needed to start generating light from an LED is
LED voltage = 1239.5 / wavelength in nm
More voltage is needed to overcome series resistance with higher currents.

Temperature and excitation are two common ways of setting the wavelength for semiconductor lasers. Generally, it's safer to use current as the control parameter as attempting a fixed voltage may lead to a thermal run away condition.

- Mike

Hi hsherwood68 ...

hsherwood68 said:
I was reading some spec sheets for some leds, and it says that, for example, at 1.4V the light is at 650nm and that at 1.7V the light is at 670nm.

Alas, I think you may have misinterpreted what the data was saying. Did your datasheet look something like this one?

attachment.php?attachmentid=60621.png

Attachments

• table.png
    table.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 5,625
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the confusion came from the false belief that the forward voltage determined the colour, when in fact it is the band-gap chemistry that determines the forward voltage and so the colour.

Both temperature and voltage / current affect wavelength slightly. In the early 90's, we played with putting Infra Red Lasers in liquid nitrogen to see them produce a red beam.
Now, it is very common to regulate laser temperature with a TEC to tune them for fiber optic use.
Sweeping the excitation is more common for sweeping the output for use in analytic equipment, and Thor labs offers equipment for this.

Here’s an excerpt from an article regarding the output of LEDs:

“In addition to affecting light output, temperature also has an effect on the dominant and peak wavelength. LED die wavelength characteristics are commonly reported at 25°C junction temperatures. With increasing LED die junction temperatures resulting from higher drive currents or ambient conditions, wavelengths typically increase in from 0.03 to 0.13 nm/°C, depending on die type.”

The article is here: http://ledsmagazine.com/features/4/8/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobbywhy said:
wavelengths typically increase in from 0.03 to 0.13 nm/°C, depending on die type.”

Thanks for ferreting out that reference, Bobbywhy.

LED colour drift is a curious phenomenon, λ increasing with temperature. So the λ figures that OP cites ("for example, at 1.4V the light is at 650nm and that at 1.7V the light is at 670nm") would correspond to a die temperature increase of at least 150°, maybe 666°, if we apply the values you provide.

OP's data also relates λ to forward voltage, the higher λ corresponding to higher forward voltage. This is exactly the opposite to what one would expect, for a LED's forward voltage falls with temperature, with fixed drive current.

If in deriving that data the LED current was not fixed, then it seems pointless and misleading for OP's datasheet to relate λ to a forward voltage instead of to current or temperature.

My money's still on OP having misread the data sheet's ranges. :smile:

Waiting to hear back from hsherwood68 ...

1. How does changing the voltage affect the wavelength of an LED?

Changing the voltage applied to an LED can cause a shift in the wavelength of light emitted. This is because the voltage determines the energy of the electrons within the LED, and the energy of the electrons is directly related to the wavelength of light emitted.

2. Can the wavelength of an LED be controlled through voltage?

Yes, the wavelength of an LED can be controlled through voltage. By adjusting the voltage, the energy levels of the electrons within the LED can be changed, causing a shift in the wavelength of light emitted.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and wavelength in an LED?

The relationship between voltage and wavelength in an LED is inverse. This means that as the voltage increases, the wavelength of light emitted decreases, and vice versa.

4. How do I determine the appropriate voltage to achieve a specific wavelength in an LED?

The appropriate voltage to achieve a specific wavelength in an LED can be determined through the use of a voltage-wavelength graph or by consulting the datasheet of the specific LED. These resources will provide the ideal voltage range for different wavelengths of light.

5. Is there a limit to how much the voltage can be adjusted to control the wavelength of an LED?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the voltage can be adjusted to control the wavelength of an LED. This is because each LED has a specific voltage range in which it can operate effectively. Going beyond this range can damage the LED or cause it to malfunction.