Power Supply Question: Can It Handle 6A @ 35V?

In summary, adding a resistor will reduce the amps available to the device, and may require a beefier power supply.
Tesladude
Ok this may be a stupid question but what the heck.

If I have a power supply giving max of 4amps with 35v
and what I am powering draws 6 amps at 35v,
then that means the device has 5.7 ohms of resistance.
If I put a 3.05 ohm resistor (ish) then this will drop the amps down to 4, but will it still power the device... functionally?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The resistor and your device will form a voltage devider. You'll get 5.7/(5.7+3.05) * 35 = 22.8 V across your device so it is not likely to work.

The power dissipated in the resistor is I^2 R = 4*4 * 3.05 = 48.8 W which will be a problem as well.
Your resistor might require a heatsink and a fan.

if the device needs 6A to operate then its not likely to work with only 4 amps or if it does it will be unstable in operation
Adding a resistor is only going to make the situation worse

you need a beefier PSU

Dave

ok thanks, I forgot about the voltage divider so It seemed possible for a moment, this isn't a project I'm working on, I was just day dreaming.

BUT

Sense I have this thread open, and davenn is here:

I read that bridge mode in amplifiers will, for example, take a 100 watt amplifier at 8ohms and turn it to a 200 watt amplifier at 4ohms.

I was going to use 4 tda2050 amps, each running one speaker, but if I use 2 amps in bridge running 2 8ohm speakers in parallel, would this give me double power into both speakers? So as if each speaker had it's own amplifier twice as strong?

As long as you realize that you don't get anything for nothing then you can't go too far wrong. Connected in a bridge, two amplifiers will (if they can) deliver twice the current into a load than they would, individually. They are each 'seeing' a load of half the resistance of the original load. If the amplifier can't deliver enough current then you won't get that power - it will clip.

ok thank you! I must say you explained that very well, someone else I asked wasn't being too clear haha.

1. What is the maximum voltage that this power supply can handle?

The maximum voltage that this power supply can handle is 35V.

2. How much current can this power supply deliver?

This power supply can deliver up to 6A of current.

3. Can this power supply handle a load of 6A @ 35V simultaneously?

Yes, this power supply is capable of handling a load of 6A @ 35V simultaneously.

4. What happens if I exceed the maximum current or voltage ratings?

If you exceed the maximum current or voltage ratings, the power supply may overheat and potentially damage the connected devices.

5. Is this power supply suitable for high-power applications?

Yes, this power supply is suitable for high-power applications as it can handle a current of 6A and a voltage of 35V, making it suitable for a wide range of electronic devices and circuits.