Very strange accidental proximity sensor - Explanation wanted

In summary, the LED will only light up if the person is away for a certain amount of time, and the brighter the LED is the further they are away.
Ngineer
Hello everybody,

I was working on an electronics project, and one of the LEDs (actually I'm using only one) started acting really strange!

It will light up when I come close to it, ONLY if I have been out of the room for some time!

And that's not all, the period for which it will light up is proportional to how much I have been away (i.e. the longer I stay far from it the longer it will light when I return)

I was thinking of 2 possible explanations how this can happen,

Explanation 1. When I get out of the room I somehow get electrically charged, and this creates an E-field around the led when I return, making it conductive.
(But it will do this even if I go the other way (i.e. what matters is that I stay out of range, not where I go))

Explanation 2. The accidental sensor (be it capacitive or otherwise) is dependent on a capacitor that needs time to charge between "activations." But in this case it has a really wide range because I have to move 3~4 meters to get it to light again for a second or two!

Any input on this is appreciated, thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think there's a third explanation. Could it be that the LED is in love with you and the longer you are away the more it misses you?

No possible way to give you any advice on this unless we see a schematic.

This gives me a grin. This is a classic when using CMOS components. When I was but a wee lad, my boss showed me a machine that he could actuate / de-actuate by waving his hand. It had an open gate and was picking up charge from his proximity (assumable he was charged).

I had a similar event recently - something I could not explain but seems simpler than your situation.

I was working with a microcontroller and had an isolated LED/resistor tied to ground. If I came close to the anode of the LED, it would very slightly eluminated. I made sure that I was not touching any charged electronics.

More interestingly, if I firmly placed my feet on the ground then the LED would become dimmer. It seems that I was somehow conducting charge whilst sitting there.

1. What is a proximity sensor and how does it work?

A proximity sensor is a device that detects the presence or proximity of an object without physical contact. It works by emitting an electromagnetic field or a beam of infrared light and measuring the reflection or disturbance caused by nearby objects.

2. Why is the accidental proximity sensor described as "very strange"?

The accidental proximity sensor is considered strange because it was not intentionally designed or implemented as a proximity sensor. It was discovered by accident or coincidence.

3. How can something accidentally become a proximity sensor?

In some cases, electronic devices or components can have unintended side effects or capabilities that were not intended by the designer. This could be due to a flaw or error in the design, or unexpected interactions between different components.

4. Is the accidental proximity sensor reliable and accurate?

It is difficult to determine the reliability and accuracy of the accidental proximity sensor without further testing and analysis. It may not have been designed or calibrated for this purpose, so its measurements may not be consistent or precise.

5. Can the accidental proximity sensor be used for other purposes?

It is possible that the accidental proximity sensor could be repurposed for other applications, but this would require further research and development. It may not be suitable for all types of proximity sensing and may have limitations compared to purpose-built proximity sensors.