Newton's Laws problems:confused:

In summary, you need to use Newton's law of gravitation and add the Earth's radius to the distance above the surface to find the magnitude of the acceleration.
chipsdeluxe
can someone please help me with these problems? I'm completely lost.

1. Synchronous communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 2.32 x 107 m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance?

2. A woman stands on a scale in a moving elevator. Her mass is 62.2 kg, and the combined mass of the elevator and scale is an additional 836 kg. Starting from rest, the elevator accelerates upward. During the acceleration, the hoisting cable applies a force of 9110 N. What does the scale read during the acceleration?

for number 2:
i think i use the equation Fn=mg+ma. for m do i use the total mass or just the woman's mass? g is 9.8 right? but i don't know what the accerlataion is cause the problem doesn't say.

for number 1:
i tried using the law of universal gravitation but that was wrong. i don't know how to find the acceleration with the information given. i know the mass of Earth and the radius. but i don't know how to use the info.

the homework is due at 11 pm which is in 5 hours. and i don't have any idea how to solve it. any help would be great. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For #2:
The Free-Body-Diagram of an object
includes Forces applied TO the object.
The "Scale Reading" is the Force applied
by the scale to the object on TOP of the scale.
(you've seen these things, haven't you?)
. . . Use the Equation: Sum F_onA = ma_A !
which is Fn - mg = ma , or Fn = mg + ma .
But if you start at the *beginning*,
then it's obvious which mass you should use.
The acceleration of the elevator+scales+woman
is caused by the cable Tension (Sum F = ma).

For #1 you use universal gravitation GMm/r^2 ,
but r is the distance center-of-mass to c.o.m.

Sorry I didn't see your post until just now.

chipsdeluxe said:
can someone please help me with these problems? I'm completely lost.

1. Synchronous communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 2.32 x 107 m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance?

2. A woman stands on a scale in a moving elevator. Her mass is 62.2 kg, and the combined mass of the elevator and scale is an additional 836 kg. Starting from rest, the elevator accelerates upward. During the acceleration, the hoisting cable applies a force of 9110 N. What does the scale read during the acceleration?

for number 2:
i think i use the equation Fn=mg+ma. for m do i use the total mass or just the woman's mass? g is 9.8 right? but i don't know what the accerlataion is cause the problem doesn't say.

for number 1:
i tried using the law of universal gravitation but that was wrong. i don't know how to find the acceleration with the information given. i know the mass of Earth and the radius. but i don't know how to use the info.
1. You are correct to use Newton's law of gravitation:

[tex]a = \frac{GM_e}{r^2}[/tex]

where r is the distance from the satellite to the centre of the earth. You have to add the Earth's radius to the distance above the surface.

2. The cable provides the force to balance the weight of the elevator and woman plus the acceleration. From the cable force, you can find a:

[tex]F = m(g+a)[/tex]
[tex]a = \frac{F}{m} - g[/tex]

From that you should be able to determine the scale reading (which depends only on the woman's weight and acceleration).

AM

thanks for the help guys

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's three laws of motion are the fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest or in motion will remain at rest or in motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I apply Newton's laws to solve problems?

To apply Newton's laws to solve problems, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and determine the direction and magnitude of each force. Then, use Newton's second law to calculate the acceleration of the object. Finally, use the equations of motion to solve for other variables such as velocity, displacement, or time.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant and does not change with location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. Can Newton's laws be applied to objects in outer space?

Yes, Newton's laws apply to all objects in motion, including those in outer space. However, the effects of gravity may be different depending on the location in the universe.

5. What are some real-life examples of Newton's laws in action?

Some real-life examples of Newton's laws include a car accelerating when the gas pedal is pressed (Newton's second law), a ball rolling down a hill (Newton's first law), and a rocket blasting off from the ground (Newton's third law).