Understanding Inverse Trig Functions: Solving for Phi in Cos Using Inverse Sin

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for phi using inverse sin, and the confusion about using inverse sin in the cos function. The conversation also mentions the relationship between sine and cosine and their inverses.
chrisa88
How does this work? I'm very confused about the phi is solved using inverse sin.
knowing: A=(c[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex]+c[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex])[itex]^{1/2}[/itex] and c[itex]_{2}[/itex]= Acos([itex]\phi[/itex])
solve for [itex]\phi[/itex]
which yields: [itex]\phi[/itex]=sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{c_{2}}{(c^{2}_{1}+c^{2}_{2})^{1/2}}[/itex]=tan[itex]^{-1}[/itex][itex]\frac{c_{2}}{c_{1}}[/itex]
I'm not sure how we use the inverse sin to find the phi in the cos function.
I thought to get the inside of the parenthesis of cos you would use inverse cos, or cos[itex]^{-1}[/itex]. Where am I going wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your math expressions are yielding an error here.

Just as there are many trigonometric relationships, so there are apparently just as many relations between their inverses. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_functions

As always, start with the easiest, defining relationships and build out from there. Note that as sine and cosine are related by complementary angles, so are their inverses.

I thought this was an error, but the solutions manual to my quantum mechanics class AND the handwritten solutions provided by my professor both have this error. Thank you for confirming!

1. What are inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that are used to find the angle measures of a right triangle given the ratio of two sides. They are the inverse, or opposite, of the basic trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. Why do we need inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are useful in solving problems involving right triangles, such as finding missing angle measures or side lengths. They are also used in calculus and other advanced mathematics to solve more complex problems.

3. How do we use inverse trigonometric functions?

To use inverse trigonometric functions, we input a given ratio of two sides of a right triangle into the function and solve for the angle measure. For example, if we know the tangent of an angle is 0.5, we can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle measure.

4. What are the main inverse trigonometric functions?

The main inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine (sin^-1), arccosine (cos^-1), and arctangent (tan^-1). These functions are used to find the angle measures of a right triangle given the ratios of the opposite, adjacent, and hypotenuse sides, respectively.

5. How can I remember the inverse trigonometric function values?

One way to remember the inverse trigonometric function values is to memorize the acronym "SOHCAHTOA," which stands for sine (opposite/hypotenuse), cosine (adjacent/hypotenuse), and tangent (opposite/adjacent). This can help you remember which inverse trigonometric function to use based on the given side ratios.