Two electrical Problems I'm stuck on

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to start a task involving circuit pictures. The questions being referred to are numbers 18 and 24, which can be found in a provided link. The first question involves finding the equivalent resistance when voltage sources are removed, as well as the open circuit voltage across terminals with a specific source removed. The second question suggests using nodal analysis to express Vnodal in terms of V3.
Oblio
hey guys, I'm not sure how to start these off. Can someone give me a hint?

I'm not sure how else to show these (they have circuit pictures). The questions are numbers 18 & 24 here http://www.physics.brocku.ca/Courses/2P31/DH-Asst1.pdf .

thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 18... you know that Vth = Rthv * i_sc. If you remove V, find the equivalent resistance (what do you do with voltage sources? current sources? open or short which one?). Also find the open circuit voltage across your terminals with V2 removed. I'm pretty sure this is what you would do.

For 24, use nodal analysis. That'll give you an expression of Vnodal as a function of V3.

1. How do I solve an electrical problem?

Solving an electrical problem involves following a systematic approach. First, you must identify the problem by understanding the symptoms and gathering information. Then, you need to analyze the problem and come up with potential solutions. Next, you should implement the chosen solution and test it to see if the problem is resolved. Finally, you should document the solution for future reference.

2. What are the most common causes of electrical problems?

The most common causes of electrical problems include faulty wiring, overloaded circuits, damaged outlets or switches, and malfunctioning appliances. Other factors such as poor electrical installations, weather conditions, and power surges can also contribute to electrical problems.

3. How do I troubleshoot an electrical problem?

To troubleshoot an electrical problem, you need to follow a step-by-step process. First, isolate the problem by turning off the power to the affected area. Then, use a multimeter to check for continuity, voltage, and resistance. If you cannot identify the issue, you may need to consult a professional electrician.

4. Can I fix an electrical problem by myself?

It is not recommended to attempt fixing an electrical problem by yourself unless you have the necessary knowledge and experience. Working with electricity can be dangerous and may result in serious injury or even death. It is best to leave electrical repairs to trained professionals.

5. How can I prevent electrical problems in the future?

To prevent electrical problems, make sure that all electrical installations are done by a licensed electrician. Avoid overloading circuits and use surge protectors to protect your appliances from power surges. Regularly check and maintain your electrical system to ensure it is in good condition. If you notice any issues, address them promptly to avoid bigger problems in the future.