Physics for Scientists and Engineers vs with Modern Physics

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between two physics textbooks: "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics." The first book has 39 chapters while the second has 46. The person is wondering if the second book is just an updated version with an added section. It is confirmed that the second book is the more recent edition and the first 39 chapters are likely the same in both books. However, the second book is described as more unwieldy to use.
-DLS-
Physics for Scientists and Engineers vs "" with Modern Physics

Would anyone know if there is a difference between the two books off the top of their head?

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0495827819/?tag=pfamazon01-20

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1439048444/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I mean one has chapters from 1-39 and the second has 1-46. My class requires the first one but I can get the 2nd one for cheaper.

Would you think its the same exact book with an added section?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Is the one you can buy more cheaply the most recent edition? If it is, than I think the first 39 chapters are the same in both books.

yes the more recent edition. I guess I'll find out the risky way.

Thanks for your help.

The second one is more unwieldy.

I would say that there is likely a difference between the two books. While they may cover similar topics, the order and depth of the material may vary. It is important to check with your instructor to see if the second book would be an acceptable substitute for your class. Additionally, it may be worth comparing the table of contents and sample chapters from both books to see if there are any significant differences in the content or approach. Ultimately, it is important to choose the book that best aligns with your course requirements and learning style.

1. What is the difference between "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics"?

"Physics for Scientists and Engineers" is a traditional physics textbook that covers the fundamental principles and applications of classical physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" also includes topics from modern physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

2. Who is the target audience for "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics"?

The target audience for "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" is typically undergraduate students majoring in engineering, physics, or a related field. It is also suitable for graduate students who need a comprehensive understanding of both classical and modern physics concepts.

3. Can "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" be used as a self-study guide?

Yes, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" can be used as a self-study guide, but it is recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus and introductory physics concepts before using this textbook.

4. What are the benefits of studying "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics"?

Studying "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world. It also prepares students for advanced courses in physics and engineering, as well as careers in research and technology.

5. How is "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" different from other physics textbooks?

"Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" is known for its clear and concise explanations of complex concepts, extensive problem sets, and real-world applications. It also includes modern topics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity, which are not covered in many traditional physics textbooks.