Question about a PD controller.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of PD controllers in control engineering and the effect of ignoring the leftmost pole and zero in the root locus plot. The specifications are satisfied when the complex poles are in the same position as the green stars and the remaining zero can be ignored as it only serves as an "end point" for the leftmost pole. However, ignoring the leftmost pole and zero can result in a slower system response.
nylonman
Hi, I'm taking a control engineering course and I've got a little doubt about PD controllers.

Here is my root locus plot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/controlw.png/

I have the system defined by the poles in the root locus with some design specifications that are satisfied when the complex poles are in the same position as the green stars. In order to move the branches of the root locus a PD controller is used, so a zero appears in the plot. With a specific gain the specifications are satisfied as shown in the right plot.

My question is: the specifications are computed assuming a normalized second order system, so the transfer function of the final system would have only the two complex conjugate poles. I know that the leftmost pole can be ignored, but what about the remaining zero? Wouldn't it affect the response?

Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
When placing your two right most poles using the gain kd, your left most pole will tend to move toward the zero position at some position specified by kd also. So if you're ignoring the left most pole only, then it has the same effect of ignoring both the left most pole and the zero, since the zero is only there to assure that the pole moves towards it (As shown by the green line)

The zero is just an "end point" of the locus of the left most pole.

In other words, if the gain is large enough, the left most pole coincides at the zero which is still good because it sits on the negative real axis. However, system response is slower due to the pole approaching right-half plane.

Last edited:

1. What is a PD controller?

A PD controller is a type of feedback control system commonly used in engineering and science. It stands for Proportional-Derivative controller and is used to control a process or system by adjusting its input based on the difference between the desired output and the actual output.

2. How does a PD controller work?

A PD controller works by taking the error, or the difference between the desired output and the actual output, and multiplying it by a proportional gain (Kp) and a derivative gain (Kd). The proportional gain determines how much the input should be changed in response to the error, while the derivative gain helps to prevent overshooting and oscillations.

3. What are the benefits of using a PD controller?

Using a PD controller can provide faster and more accurate control of a system compared to other types of controllers. It can also help to reduce overshooting and oscillations, leading to more stable and efficient operation of the system.

4. What are the limitations of a PD controller?

A PD controller is not suitable for controlling systems with large time delays, as it only takes into account the current error and does not consider past errors. It also may not be effective in systems with nonlinear dynamics or unpredictable disturbances.

5. When should a PD controller be used?

A PD controller is commonly used in systems that require fast response times and precise control, such as robotics, motor control, and temperature control. It is also commonly used in combination with other types of controllers, such as a PI (Proportional-Integral) controller, to improve performance in more complex systems.