Proof By induction Sigma notation Please help

In summary, to prove the statement 2n-1 Sigma(3i+1) = n(6n-1) for all positive n, we can use mathematical induction. Assume the statement holds true for n = m, and then show that it also holds for n = m+1. Using the hint given, we can rewrite the summation for n = m+1 as (3(2m)+1)+(3(2m+1)+1)+Sigma(3i+1) for i=0 to 2m-1. Simplifying this expression leads to (6m+1)+(6m+4)+m(6m-1), which
jesusjones

Homework Statement

2n-1
Sigma (3i+1) = n(6n-1)
i=0

prove for all positive n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It holds true for n=1

5=5

then P: m+1

2m+1
Sigma(3i+1) = (m+1)(6(m+1)-1) or 6m^2 + 11m + 5
i=0

then 2m+1
Sigma(3i+1) = m(6m-1) + (3(m+1)+1) + (3(m+2)+1) = 6m^2 + 5m + 11
i=0

I just cannot figure this out and it is driving me crazy. Please help clarify things. I even tried changing the first part to
2m
Ʃ(3(i-1)+1)
i=1

and still couldn't prove it.

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
jesusjones said:

Homework Statement

2n-1
Sigma (3i+1) = n(6n-1)
i=0

prove for all positive n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It holds true for n=1

5=5
Hello jesusjones. Welcome to PF.

Now, assume that it holds for n = m, (where m ≥ 1), so you assume the following is true.
[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{2m-1}(3i+1)= m(6m-1)\,.[/itex]​
With that assumption, you now need to show that this formulation is true for n = m+1. In this case, 2n-1 = 2(m+1)-1 = 2m+1, and n(6n-1)= (m+1)(6m+5)= 6m2+11m+5 . In other words, show that the following can be derived from the above.
[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{2m+1}(3i+1) = (m+1)(6m+5)\,.[/itex]​

Here's a hint:
[itex]\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{2m+1}(3i+1)=(3(2m)+1)+(3(2m+1)+1)+\sum_{i=0}^{2m-1}(3i+1)\,.[/itex]​

Thank you SammyS for your reply your hint lead me to the proper proof. I was having a hard time figuring out why it would be (3(2m)+1) and (3(2m+1)+1) instead of just (3(m+1)+1) ect... But i think i get it now.

Thanks very much

1. What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove that a given statement or formula holds true for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: a base case where the statement is proven for the first natural number, and an inductive step where the statement is proven for the next natural number assuming it holds true for the previous one.

2. How is proof by induction different from other proof techniques?

Proof by induction is unique because it allows us to prove that a statement holds true for an infinite number of cases. Other proof techniques, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, typically only prove a statement for a specific case or a finite number of cases.

3. What is Sigma notation?

Sigma notation, also known as summation notation, is a way to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It uses the Greek letter sigma (∑) to indicate the sum, and a variable below the sigma to represent the numbers or terms being summed. For example, ∑n=15 n represents the sum of the first five natural numbers (1+2+3+4+5).

4. How is Sigma notation used in proof by induction?

Sigma notation is often used in the inductive step of a proof by induction. It allows us to represent the sum of a series of terms and manipulate them algebraically to prove that the statement holds true for the next natural number. By using Sigma notation, we can prove that a statement holds true for all natural numbers, not just a specific case.

5. Can proof by induction be used to prove any statement?

No, proof by induction can only be used to prove statements that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used for statements involving irrational numbers or real numbers. Additionally, the statement must have a clear base case and inductive step in order for proof by induction to be applicable.