Place a 3rd charge so net force is 0

In summary: You have gone wrong in your algebra.In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a third charge +Q in relation to two other charges (+2q at the origin and -q at x = 3cm) so that it experiences zero force. The equation F=kQ1Q2/r^2 is used to solve for the placement of Q3, with the assumption that Q3 must be placed to the right of Q2. However, the roots of the quadratic equation come out to be imaginary due to a mistake in the algebra, specifically in the calculation of the distance between Q1 and Q3. The correct equation is x + 0.03 = √2x, leading to a solution of 0 =
jakerue

Homework Statement

A charge of +2q is placed at the origin and a second charge of -q is placed a x = 3cm. Where can a third charge +Q be placed so that it experiences a zero force?

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

OK I thought I had this until the roots of the quadratic I am solving come out to be imaginary...

Q1 = 2q
Q2 = -q
Q3 = +Q

I am assuming that Q3 must be placed to the right of Q2.
the distance between Q1 and Q3 = x+0.03m and the distance between Q2 and Q3 = x

If F on Q3 = 0 then FQ1=FQ2 at this point

F1on3 = k*Q1*Q3/r^2 = F 2on3 = k*Q2*Q3/r^2 ;; cancel k and Q3

Q1/r1to32 = Q2/r2to32

Q1/(x+0.03m)2=Q3/x2

Q1*x2 = Q3*(x+0.03m)2
2q*x2 / -q = (x+0.03m)2
-2x2 = (x+0.03m)2
-2x2 = x2 + 0.06x + 0.0009

0=3x2 + 0.06x + 0.0009

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong here? Is my assumption that Q3 is to the right of Q2 incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
jakerue said:

Homework Statement

A charge of +2q is placed at the origin and a second charge of -q is placed a x = 3cm. Where can a third charge +Q be placed so that it experiences a zero force?

Homework Equations

F=kQ1Q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

OK I thought I had this until the roots of the quadratic I am solving come out to be imaginary...

Q1 = 2q
Q2 = -q
Q3 = +Q

I am assuming that Q3 must be placed to the right of Q2.
the distance between Q1 and Q3 = x+0.03m and the distance between Q2 and Q3 = x

If F on Q3 = 0 then FQ1=FQ2 at this point

F1on3 = k*Q1*Q3/r^2 = F 2on3 = k*Q2*Q3/r^2 ;; cancel k and Q3

Q1/r1to32 = Q2/r2to32

Q1/(x+0.03m)2=Q3/x2

Q1*x2 = Q3*(x+0.03m)2
2q*x2 / -q = (x+0.03m)2
-2x2 = (x+0.03m)2
-2x2 = x2 + 0.06x + 0.0009

0=3x2 + 0.06x + 0.0009

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong here? Is my assumption that Q3 is to the right of Q2 incorrect?

Your initial assumption is correct.

I would be looking as follows:

The charges of 2q and q [never mind the signs] means the force form the forst charge is potentially twice the size.
The way to balance that is to have it √2 times as far from your Q

so in your nomenclature

x + 0.03 = √2x [remember that is only √2 the x is not under the √ sign]

That leads to 0 = x2 - 0.06x - 0.0009 - slightly different to your equation.

1. How do I calculate the location and magnitude of the third charge in order to have a net force of 0?

The location and magnitude of the third charge can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Can the net force ever be 0 if the three charges have the same magnitude?

Yes, it is possible for the net force to be 0 if the three charges have the same magnitude but are placed at specific distances from each other. This is because the direction of the force is also determined by the signs of the charges.

3. How does the placement of the third charge affect the direction of the net force?

The placement of the third charge affects the direction of the net force because the force between two charges is always along the line connecting them. Therefore, the third charge must be placed in a specific location to balance out the forces from the other two charges.

4. What happens if the third charge is placed outside the line connecting the other two charges?

If the third charge is placed outside the line connecting the other two charges, the net force will not be 0. Instead, the net force will have a direction towards the third charge, since it will be closer to one of the two original charges.

5. Can there be more than one possible location for the third charge to create a net force of 0?

Yes, there can be more than one possible location for the third charge to create a net force of 0. This is because the net force is dependent on the distance between the charges, and there can be multiple combinations of distances that result in a net force of 0.