Odd looking pine tree, one branch did not follow the rules?

In summary, the white pine tree pictured in the OP has an apical dominance (the top of the tree trunk produces a hormone that supresses the growth of the "lateral buds", which causes the trunk to grow vertically and the branches to grow horizontally) that is different from the other branches on the tree.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Walking the dog takes me past an odd (to me) looking pine tree. I live in south eastern Pennsylvania. With help of Google I think the tree in question is a White Pine, see

http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pages/pine_white/pine_white.html

Also see the images below of the tree. I don't think I have ever see a tree like this one. It seems one of the branches did not "follow the rules" so to speak. One branch near the top is different from the other branches on the tree in at least two respects. While most of the branches grow outward this branch grew upward and into a large dense ball of sub-branches. It seems that genetic instruction for the one branch were not the same as the other branches?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• 2012_0813_180638AA.jpg
    2012_0813_180638AA.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 864
  • 2012_0813_180547AA.jpg
    2012_0813_180547AA.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 955
  • 2012_0813_180615AA.jpg
    2012_0813_180615AA.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 879
Biology news on Phys.org
That's very interesting. Is is possible that the branch is a different species? Perhaps the tree was damaged years ago and a seed from a different species germinated inside the damaged section, then later began to feed off of the tree like a graft.

It reminds me of mistletoe, just bigger and less distinct from the host tree in terms of leaf-shape. Which makes me think that the suggestion in the previous post may have some merit. :)

Have you researched squirrel nests? They are tightly-woven leaf-lined balls of twigs that can distort the appearance of trees.

turbo said:
Have you researched squirrel nests? They are tightly-woven leaf-lined balls of twigs that can distort the appearance of trees.

The pictures I included above did not give any scale. From the photo below the "ball" of branches it is clearly the size of a car. I think AlephZero hit the nail on the head. Thanks to all! I will now be on the look out for another "witch's broom".

Attachments

• 2012_0813_180459AA.jpg
    2012_0813_180459AA.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 606
I joined this forum with the hopes of providing an interesting answer to this quest. Unfortunately, I'm now not sure if my answer is correct.

Apical dominance

The "terminal bud" (ie, the top of the tree trunk) produces a hormone that suppresses the growth of the "lateral buds" (ie, the ends of the branches), which causes the trunk to grow vertically and the branches to grow horizontally. And, for example, it helps to produce the typical conifer shape.

However, what happens when the terminal bud stops producing this hormone? For example, a lightning strike might damage or destroy it, as would an insect that ate this tender bud. When this happens, the lateral bud that can produce the most of this hormone becomes the new tip of the trunk, and its branch turns vertical and becomes the new trunk. I am unable to find a photo of this phenomenon, but this silhouette seems to show it about three-quarters up the trunk (it seems to shift to the right). This is what I thought the photos would show. The phenomenon is more obvious with conifers that have whorled branches.

GR05_P_men_v_gla_silhouette.gif

Likes Spinnor

1. What could cause a pine tree to have an odd appearance?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a genetic mutation, environmental stress, or damage to the tree.

2. Why is one branch not following the usual pattern of a pine tree?

This could be due to a variety of factors such as lack of sunlight, disease, or damage to the branch. It is also possible that the branch is from a different species of tree altogether.

3. Is this odd looking pine tree still healthy?

It is difficult to determine the health of a tree based solely on its appearance. If the tree is still producing new growth and appears to be stable, it is likely healthy. However, if you have concerns, it is best to consult a certified arborist for a professional opinion.

4. Will the odd appearance of the pine tree affect its growth?

It is possible that the odd appearance may affect the tree's growth, depending on the cause. If it is due to a genetic mutation, the tree may continue to grow in an unusual manner. However, if it is due to environmental stress or damage, the tree's growth may be stunted or it may eventually die.

5. Can the odd branch be pruned or removed?

It is possible to prune or remove the odd branch, but it is important to consult a professional arborist before doing so. They can assess the tree and determine the best course of action to maintain its health and appearance.