Verifying the Law of Malus

• Thread starter shawonna23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
Law of Malus to solve for the slope and y-intercept.In summary, the conversation discusses the linear relationship between intensity and relative angle in the Law of Malus. They obtained a slope and y-intercept from the graph in Graphical Analysis and are trying to determine the physical parameters they represent. They suggest using the derivative of the Law of Malus to solve for these parameters.
shawonna23
From plotting a graph of Intensity vs. relative angle, there was a linear relationship. From this graph in Graphical Analysis, we obtained a slope (m) and a y-intercept (b). We then have to look at the original expression for the Law of Malus. My question is: What physical parameters do the slope and y-intercept represent?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tough one to answer. Malus's law is

[tex]I = I_0\; \cos^2(\theta)[/tex]

so you can't possibly be getting a linear relationship over a wide range of angles.

I'm going to guess that in setting up this problem, they had you run the experiment with an angle of around 45 degrees. That is where you get the maximum change in intensity per change in angle.

To figure out what physical parameters slope and intercept represent, try taking the Malus law, differentiating it with respect to theta, and solving for m and b in terms of I and I_0, maybe.

Carl

1. What is the Law of Malus?

The Law of Malus, also known as Malus' Law, is a fundamental law in optics that describes the relationship between the intensity of light passing through a polarizer and the angle of the polarizer relative to the incident light.

2. How do you verify the Law of Malus?

The Law of Malus can be verified experimentally by using a polarizer and a light source. The intensity of light passing through the polarizer at different angles can be measured and plotted on a graph. The resulting curve should be a cosine squared curve, confirming the validity of the law.

3. What is the significance of the Law of Malus?

The Law of Malus is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of polarized light. It has practical applications in industries such as telecommunications, astronomy, and photography.

4. Who discovered the Law of Malus?

The Law of Malus was discovered by French physicist Étienne-Louis Malus in 1808. He was studying the properties of polarized light and noticed the relationship between the intensity of light and the angle of the polarizer.

5. Can the Law of Malus be applied to all types of light?

The Law of Malus is only applicable to polarized light, which is light that vibrates in a single plane. It does not apply to unpolarized light, which vibrates in multiple planes, or circularly polarized light, which has a rotating polarization direction.