Help Networking 2 Computers with DSL and XP Home Edition

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with setting up a network between two computers and sharing a DSL connection and printer. They have two new Dell computers with network cards and a router. The person taking over for the previous setup is having trouble because they are now using Windows XP Home Edition instead of Windows 2000 Professional. They are seeking advice on which way to connect the computers and are frustrated with the limitations of the Home Edition. They have tried the network wizard but it has not solved their issue. Another person suggests setting up Linux on both machines, but the original poster is not interested in doing so. They have encountered difficulties using the network wizard and are unsure of how to proceed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check the router
motoheadz
Hello,

this is OnRadioactiveWaves

First and foremost, sorry if this isn't the right place for this.

I have a networking problem. All I need to do is network 2 computers to be able to talk, and both get dsl and share a printer. I have 2 new dell computers with their own network card plus an extra network card from the dsl software, and a router.

I am taking over for someone, who got the dsl working but was not able to get everything working.

The main problem I'm having is, I did some networking on win2k professional, now I'm on XP home edition and nothing seems the same!

Please help! And don't tell me to get Linux or whatever because this is what I'm stuck with!

p.s. I need to figure out which way to connect the computers ie. connect them both to the router or connect 2 -> 1 -> internet

This damn home edition XP sucks any help would be appreciated. I just need someone to point me in the right direction. Anything I try to do windows wants to do through "network wizzard" [b(]

Thanks

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
First you need to get linux on both machines, then i'll help you. j/k

Anyway,

DSL Modem->Router
Router-> Two computers
One of the Computers -> Printer

Setup router with instructions from your isp.
Go to printers on the computer you have the printer installed and share it by right clicking on it and selecting sharing. If you wantto share files, just right click on the folder and click share.

I really don't see where your having the dificulty, but don't listen to me, I'm just another stupid linux user.

Thanks for the reply dduardo.

Someone already set up the router. I don't remember all the ins and outs, but basicly the dude said he never got it all working together.

On box 1 I have LAN 1 which goes to the router, and LAN2 which goes to box 2. When I connect the LAN 2 connection, it says everything is in order but I can't share the files! I try , but the computers don't see each other in the shares even though the network is supposably working.I can't even share them to the same computer its on. All I could figure out was " use network wizzard" which dosn't fix a damn thing. I'm used to windows professional that allows you much more control over the situation.

So basicly you're saying I should connect the 2 machines through the router? Thats how it is now, but only dsl works. I worked on it for a while, and eventually got so frustrated getting nowhere I decided to ask for help.

I guess I will try the network wizzard again. Microsoft advises against doing it this way because the computers will be accesible to every on the net or some bs... sigh...

The router SHOULD be good to go, but you may need to check its settings. First though, just make sure the two computers have the same workgroup name and their tcp/ip is set for DNS (ie, obtain ip address automatically). You should be able to double click the network connecton, click properties and get to that.

That seems good right now. I have the internet working on both, but not sharing and the computers don't see each other.

1. How do I connect two computers using DSL and XP Home Edition?

To connect two computers using DSL and XP Home Edition, you will need a router and Ethernet cables. First, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the DSL modem and the other end to the WAN port on the router. Then, connect the two computers to the router using Ethernet cables. Finally, enable file and printer sharing on both computers and they should now be connected.

2. Can I use a wireless connection instead of Ethernet cables?

Yes, you can use a wireless connection instead of Ethernet cables. To do this, you will need a wireless router and wireless network adapters for both computers. Follow the same steps as above, but instead of using Ethernet cables, connect the computers to the router using the wireless network adapters.

3. How do I set up a shared internet connection between the two computers?

To set up a shared internet connection, you will need to enable internet connection sharing on the computer that is connected to the DSL modem. Go to the Network and Sharing Center, click on "Change adapter settings," right-click on the DSL connection, and select "Properties." Then, click on the "Sharing" tab and check the box next to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection."

4. Can I share files and folders between the two computers?

Yes, you can share files and folders between the two computers. Once the computers are connected, you can enable file and printer sharing on both computers. Then, simply right-click on the files or folders you want to share and select "Properties." Under the "Sharing" tab, click on "Share" and select the users you want to share the files with.

5. How do I troubleshoot if the two computers are not connecting?

If the two computers are not connecting, make sure that all the cables are securely connected and that the router is turned on. Also, check the network settings on both computers to ensure they are on the same network. If the issue still persists, try restarting both computers and the router. If the problem continues, you may need to seek assistance from a technical support professional.