Vacuum System Design: Penning Gauge Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of a permanent magnetic field in a Penning gauge on the outside environment, specifically a vacuum chamber. While Penning gauges have advantages over Bayard-Alpert gauges, the magnetic field they produce may interfere with certain experiments involving silicon chips, optical fibers, and quantum dots. The relevance of the magnetic field and the specific experiment's objective and methodology are unclear.
Remi
What is the efect of the permanent magnetic field in a Penning gauge on the outside environment (meaning my vacuum chamber)? Penning gauges seem to show several advantages compared to Bayard-Alpert ones (strongness, contamination...) but this magnetic field may spoil my experiment.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Remi said:
What is the efect of the permanent magnetic field in a Penning gauge on the outside environment (meaning my vacuum chamber)? Penning gauges seem to show several advantages compared to Bayard-Alpert ones (strongness, contamination...) but this magnetic field may spoil my experiment.
Well, what is your experiment?

Gokul43201 said:
Well, what is your experiment?

It is an experiement with silicon chips and optical fibers, and at least quantum dots. Is the "magnetic shield" provided by some suppliers efficient?

Remi said:
It is an experiement with silicon chips and optical fibers, and at least quantum dots.
That conveys absolutely nothing about the actual experiment, and it is impossible to determine if tiny stray fields will hurt your experiment if we don't know what the experiment is trying to measure. And what do you mean by "at least quantum dots"?

I second Gokul's motion, the objective and methodology is unclear. The permanent magnetic field part confused me. I don't perceive that as being relevant.

Chronos said:
I second Gokul's motion, the objective and methodology is unclear. The permanent magnetic field part confused me. I don't perceive that as being relevant.
THe OP is concerned about the magnetic fields from his/her Penning Gauges (this is an ionization type vacuum gauge that uses a magnetic field to increases the path length of the ions), and I think, wants to know if his/her experiment in the vacuum chamber will be affected by the stray field.

1. What is a Penning gauge and how does it work?

A Penning gauge is a type of pressure gauge used in vacuum systems to measure low pressures. It works by using a low-pressure gas such as helium or neon, which is ionized by an electric field. The resulting ions are then accelerated towards a collector electrode, creating a current that is proportional to the pressure in the system.

2. What are the main factors to consider when designing a vacuum system with a Penning gauge?

There are several important factors to consider when designing a vacuum system with a Penning gauge. These include the type of gas used, the distance between the gauge and the vacuum chamber, the type and placement of the electrodes, and the voltage and current levels used to operate the gauge.

3. How do Penning gauges compare to other types of pressure gauges?

Penning gauges are known for their accuracy and stability, especially in the low-pressure range. They are also capable of measuring a wide range of pressures, from 10^-4 to 10^-10 Torr. However, they can be affected by magnetic fields and require calibration over time, unlike other types of gauges such as Pirani or capacitance manometers.

4. What are the common challenges in designing a vacuum system with a Penning gauge?

One of the main challenges in designing a vacuum system with a Penning gauge is ensuring proper sealing to prevent any leaks. The gauge must also be placed at an appropriate distance from the vacuum chamber to avoid any interference from the electric field. Additionally, ensuring the correct gas composition and proper voltage and current levels are crucial for accurate readings.

5. Are there any alternative pressure measurement methods to Penning gauges?

Yes, there are other types of pressure gauges that can be used in vacuum systems, such as Pirani gauges, capacitance manometers, and ionization gauges. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of which to use will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the vacuum system.