Engineering Graphics w/ I-DEAS by NX - CAD Software

In summary, I-DEAS was a powerful CAD software program that was discontinued by NX sometime in the 1990s. It is often policy to teach techniques on a system or programming language that isn't used in the real world. The idea is that you start on a level ground whatever you rprevious experience and you can apply what you learned to any system you eventually use. I-DEAS is a very powerful program that was ahead of its time, but was discontinued by NX.
jcsolis
Last semester I took an Engineering Graphics course and the software we used was the I-DEAS by NX..

Somebody has ever used this software and do you know what company use this software??

Likes achatte
Engineering news on Phys.org
The only company I know that used to use it was Ford. When I was there it was the main target of many CAD jockey's scorn.

Here's some history: http://www.cadinfo.net/editorial/sdrc.htm

SDRC also produced software for analysing experimental dynamics data (extracting modal parameters from dynamics tests, etc) that was linked into I-DEAS. We used to use the dynamics testing software, but not the CAD part.

It never really moved forwards from the 1980s though, and it got overtaken by new kids on the block.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's often policy to teach techniques on a system or programming language that isn't used in the real world. The idea is that you start on a level ground whatever you rprevious experience and you can apply what you learned to any system you eventually use.
Of course it also means the school doesn't have to upgrade and the teachers don't have to learn a new system ;-)

I-DEAS is pure evil. The most common program families I've seen in industry are Pro-E, AutoCAD, Solidworks and Catia.

Far from evil... I-deas is (was) an extremely power CAD program that was far ahead of its time. What is "evil" is what UGS did do the I-Deas product when they introduced their insanely incompetent "NX" product... (last version I used was 5).

I-deas has to be seen in 3 stages... 1) prior to "Master Series" - when it really was very difficult to learn due to lack of visual iccons, 2) release of "Master Series" - when SDRC released the product before it was ready/functional ... and was sued because of that and sustained serious black eye, and 3) when Master Series finally matured (release 1-2's modeler didn't work, 3 was a breakthrough, 6 really got on track etc). By the time Siemans and UGS got their evil clutches into it, I-deas was an absolutely marvelous mechanical design drafting and analysis product.

Anyone familiar with CAD boolean operations would have to give I-deas a whole lot of credit. The current linear design format of (for instance) Inventor is simply childs play compared to the power of I-Deas.

All UGS wanted from I-Deas was their Team Data Manager. They threw out all the design features and THAT, my friends, was TRULY criminal.

1. What is Engineering Graphics?

Engineering graphics is a visual communication tool that uses technical drawings and computer-aided design (CAD) software to create accurate and detailed representations of engineering designs.

2. What is I-DEAS by NX?

I-DEAS by NX is a CAD software program used for engineering graphics and design. It offers a wide range of tools and features for creating 2D and 3D models, as well as advanced simulation and analysis capabilities.

3. How is I-DEAS by NX different from other CAD software?

I-DEAS by NX is known for its robust and powerful capabilities, particularly in the areas of simulation and analysis. It also has a user-friendly interface and offers a wide range of customization options.

4. Can I-DEAS by NX be used for both 2D and 3D designs?

Yes, I-DEAS by NX can be used for both 2D and 3D designs. It offers a variety of tools for creating detailed 2D drawings and also has advanced features for creating and manipulating 3D models.

5. Is I-DEAS by NX suitable for beginners?

I-DEAS by NX can be used by both beginners and experienced engineers. It has a user-friendly interface and offers tutorials and resources to help beginners learn the software. However, some features may require more advanced knowledge and training.