Our cat is foaming at the mouth

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
In summary, Scott's cat had eaten something unusual and was acting strangely. Some suggested taking him to the vet, while others shared similar experiences with their own pets. Eventually, Scott updated everyone that the cat was fine and had just eaten something harmless. Other users joked about foaming at the mouth and cats eating odd things.
scott_alexsk
We think he ate a frog or something. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks,
-Scott

Biology news on Phys.org
I'd say a trip to the nearest emergency vet clinic may be in order. Any other symptoms?

No, just acting strangely. I think we will just wait it out until tomorrow.

I would go now. He could have ingested poison.

scott_alexsk said:
No, just acting strangely. I think we will just wait it out until tomorrow.
bad!

scott_alexsk said:

Thanks,
-Scott
I've seen dogs do that with frogs or toads if the excrete some vile tasting chemical. I think one of our older cats might have done that.

If that's the case get some water in a spray bottle, open the cats mouth with one hand and try to clear out the mouth with the other while someone else sprays gently with the water.

I've had plenty experience of extracting things that one our cats likes to swallow (e.g. thread or gift wrapping threads).

I've also had plenty of experience giving pills to cats.

scott_alexsk said:

Thanks,
-Scott

is your cat okay now?? you kind of left us hanging! :bugeye:

I know the thread is a couple days old, but just as another datapoint in case it helps others who experience this. We used to have a cat when I lived out in the country who would eat slugs every once in a while (why, I have no idea). Dumb cat would have a foamy mouth for several hours after doing that.

I think Astro's advice was good -- clean out the mouth and see if it re-foams. If it re-foams, then it's time for a trip to the Vet.

Scott- please let us know how your cat is. Did you find a cause?

How is the cat?

Now, we PF'ers foaming at the mouth -- instead of the cat.

Oh he's fine now, sorry. I was just kinda busy. He threw up a little bit but otherwise he is back to his normal self. I looked it up on google and it appears that cat's will foam for a variety of reasons, including nausea or pleasure in some cases. The vet said that if he was not dead by now, he will most likely be fine. He probably ate a little bit of fertilizer or something.

Thanks for caring,
-scott

Thank goodness. Glad to hear he's ok.

Yay! :biggrin: you had me scared for a second.

... foaming at the mouth from pleasure? ... anyone else find that mildly creepy?

moe darklight said:
... foaming at the mouth from pleasure? ... anyone else find that mildly creepy?

I dunno. Happens to me all the time. You should see my pillow. :yuck:

- Warren

chroot said:
I dunno. Happens to me all the time. You should see my pillow. :yuck:

- Warren

ah! :yuck: you should have that checked, have you been eating frogs or fertilizer lately?

Creases, drool, you can't win. At this rate I may as well sleep standing in the corner. :<)

Scott- thanks for the update. If it happens again you might want to check it out. Sometimes food can have odd concentrations or cause a reaction as well.

This is funny-

Today when tiger was wanting to go out, and we did not let him, he started to eat a ginger plant we had!

-scott

I'm glad he is OK. Maybe you could get him some kitty grass to nibble on.

scott_alexsk said:
This is funny-

Today when tiger was wanting to go out, and we did not let him, he started to eat a ginger plant we had!

-scott

Lol. Our cats LOVE nibbling on our plants. We have a plant by our front door and when I'm walking by, I sometimes see one of the cats just sticking his mouth on the plant (its usually Chocolate). Its funny :D.

What causes a cat to foam at the mouth?

There can be several causes for a cat foaming at the mouth, including dental issues, ingestion of toxic substances, seizures, and respiratory infections. It is important to consult a veterinarian for a proper diagnosis.

Is a cat foaming at the mouth a sign of rabies?

Foaming at the mouth can be a symptom of rabies in cats, but it can also be caused by other health issues. If your cat is displaying other symptoms of rabies such as aggression, difficulty swallowing, and excessive salivation, seek immediate veterinary care.

How can I tell if my cat is foaming at the mouth due to poisoning?

If your cat has ingested a toxic substance, they may foam at the mouth. Other symptoms to look out for include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and difficulty breathing. It is important to take your cat to a veterinarian immediately for treatment.

Can a cat recover from foaming at the mouth?

It depends on the underlying cause of the foaming. If it is due to a minor issue such as dental problems, your cat can recover with proper treatment. However, if it is caused by a serious condition like rabies or poisoning, the chances of recovery may be slim.

How can I prevent my cat from foaming at the mouth?

To prevent foaming at the mouth, make sure your cat has regular dental check-ups and keep toxic substances out of their reach. If your cat has a history of seizures, make sure they are on proper medication. It is also important to keep your cat up to date on their vaccinations to prevent diseases like rabies.