Atomic clock - optical pumping

In summary, Rb atomic clocks use a process called optical pumping to polarize the electrons in a single hyperfine state, and then subject the cell to microwaves to stimulate a transition to the other hyperfine groundstate. The frequency of the microwaves is adjusted until the transition is successful, and this process is repeated to achieve maximum polarization. The optical pumping is done to the excited F=2 state, and the microwaves induce emission from F=2 to F=1.
Moth
I am doing some research on atomic clocks. From what I have read, I understand that in Rb atomic clocks you:

-optically pump a cell of Rb, so that the electrons are all in a single hyperfine state
-subject the cell to microwaves of appropriate frequency, so that the electrons will be stimulated into the other hyperfine groundstate
-see how well the microwave frequency worked
-modify the frequency accordingly and try again

However, I am unclear whether the optical pumping puts the electrons in the higher F=1 state or the lower F=2 state (and the microwaves then attempt to do the opposite). Can you tell me which is used?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moth said:
However, I am unclear whether the optical pumping puts the electrons in the higher F=1 state or the lower F=2 state (and the microwaves then attempt to do the opposite). Can you tell me which is used?
First, ##F = 1## is the ground state, not the other way around. Second, why would it matter? The important thing is to get as polarized a sample as possible.

Third, the optical pumping is to the excited ##F=2## state (via the ##F=3## state in an excited electronic state). The microwave signal then induces emission from ##F=2## to ##F=1##.

What is an atomic clock?

An atomic clock is a type of clock that uses the natural oscillations of atoms to keep time. These clocks are highly precise and can measure time to nanosecond accuracy.

How does an atomic clock work?

An atomic clock works by using a process called optical pumping. This involves using a laser to excite atoms to a higher energy level, and then measuring the time it takes for the atoms to return to their ground state. This time interval is used to keep track of time.

What is optical pumping?

Optical pumping is a technique used in atomic clocks to manipulate the energy levels of atoms. This is done by using a laser to excite the atoms to a higher energy state, and then using a detector to measure the time it takes for the atoms to return to their ground state.

Why is optical pumping important in atomic clocks?

Optical pumping is important in atomic clocks because it allows for precise measurements of time. By using the natural oscillations of atoms, these clocks can maintain a high level of accuracy and stability, making them essential for many scientific and technological applications.

What are some common applications of atomic clocks?

Atomic clocks have a wide range of applications, including in GPS systems, telecommunications networks, and scientific research. They are also used in various industries such as aerospace, banking, and telecommunications for accurate time-keeping and synchronization purposes.